Feb 4, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
Erat will take the place of St. Louis forward Vladimir Sobotka, who is currently sidelined with a leg issue.
Erat, 32, has struggled mightily in Washington this year and has zero goals (21 assists, though) in 48 games. He’s been a healthy scratch on a few occasions and has demanded a trade out of Washington, yet was still named as Sobotka’s replacement over a number of seemingly good candidates.
Calgary’s Jiri Hudler is one. He leads the Flames with 42 points through 55 games and is the third-leading Czech scorer in the NHL this year, trailing only Boston’s David Krejci and New Jersey’s Jaromir Jagr.
Another is Phoenix’s Radim Vrbata. He has 13 goals and 37 points in 53 games, scored a career-high 35 goals during the 2011-12 campaign and leads the ‘Yotes in power play goals this year, with six.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)