Jan 9, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
The Martin Erat era in Washington has hit a new low.
The Caps will make Erat a healthy scratch for tonight’s game in Tampa Bay and replace him with Aaron Volpatti, head coach Adam Oates confirmed:
Oates very short on why he’s sitting Erat in favor of Volpatti. “Coach’s decision”
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 9, 2014
Erat, who has no goals and 15 assists through 39 games this year, probably saw the writing on the wall over the last two games. He played just 9:42 in a loss to Carolina and 7:27 in a loss to Minnesota, going a combined minus-3 over the two contests.
The healthy scratch comes just weeks after Erat re-iterated his desire to be traded out of Washington.
In a related story, Filip Forsberg was named MVP of the recently completed World Junior Hockey Championships.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)