Jan 9, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
The Martin Erat era in Washington has hit a new low.
The Caps will make Erat a healthy scratch for tonight’s game in Tampa Bay and replace him with Aaron Volpatti, head coach Adam Oates confirmed:
Oates very short on why he’s sitting Erat in favor of Volpatti. “Coach’s decision”
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 9, 2014
Erat, who has no goals and 15 assists through 39 games this year, probably saw the writing on the wall over the last two games. He played just 9:42 in a loss to Carolina and 7:27 in a loss to Minnesota, going a combined minus-3 over the two contests.
The healthy scratch comes just weeks after Erat re-iterated his desire to be traded out of Washington.
In a related story, Filip Forsberg was named MVP of the recently completed World Junior Hockey Championships.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)