Jan 9, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
The Martin Erat era in Washington has hit a new low.
The Caps will make Erat a healthy scratch for tonight’s game in Tampa Bay and replace him with Aaron Volpatti, head coach Adam Oates confirmed:
Oates very short on why he’s sitting Erat in favor of Volpatti. “Coach’s decision”
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 9, 2014
Erat, who has no goals and 15 assists through 39 games this year, probably saw the writing on the wall over the last two games. He played just 9:42 in a loss to Carolina and 7:27 in a loss to Minnesota, going a combined minus-3 over the two contests.
The healthy scratch comes just weeks after Erat re-iterated his desire to be traded out of Washington.
In a related story, Filip Forsberg was named MVP of the recently completed World Junior Hockey Championships.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 48
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 18
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 28
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)