Jan 9, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
The Martin Erat era in Washington has hit a new low.
The Caps will make Erat a healthy scratch for tonight’s game in Tampa Bay and replace him with Aaron Volpatti, head coach Adam Oates confirmed:
Oates very short on why he’s sitting Erat in favor of Volpatti. “Coach’s decision”
— Katie Carrera (@kcarrera) January 9, 2014
Erat, who has no goals and 15 assists through 39 games this year, probably saw the writing on the wall over the last two games. He played just 9:42 in a loss to Carolina and 7:27 in a loss to Minnesota, going a combined minus-3 over the two contests.
The healthy scratch comes just weeks after Erat re-iterated his desire to be traded out of Washington.
In a related story, Filip Forsberg was named MVP of the recently completed World Junior Hockey Championships.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 12
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28