Feb 5, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Sidney Crosby, who was projected to play in the middle on Canada’s top line with Stamkos on the right side, spoke following the Pittsburgh Penguins’ win over the Buffalo Sabres about what transpired earlier in the day with his fellow Canadian.
“We all figured that if there’s anyone who’s going to find a way to get back, it’d be him,” said Crosby, as per Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Crosby added: “It’s probably more difficult for him than anyone else. We feel for him, but we obviously have to move forward.”
Within minutes of the Stamkos announcement, the debate about who should replace the prolific scorer on Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team suddenly began. Of course, you can have your say, by taking the ProHockeyTalk Poll: Who should replace Stamkos on Team Canada?
According to ESPN and TSN hockey insider Pierre LeBrun, Team Canada’s executive director Steve Yzerman will announce a replacement player “within 48 hours.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)