Feb 5, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Maybe the Pittsburgh Penguins didn’t get off to the best start on the score board against the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday.
The Sabres, alone at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings with 15 wins and 38 points, earned a 1-0 lead on the Penguins, but that didn’t last long, as they gave up five unanswered goals in a 5-1 loss.
The stars of the Penguins lineup – Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin – led the way. Each had a goal and an assist. Given the history of when these two players score in the same game, it was like the Sabres didn’t even stand a chance.
The first video below is of Crosby’s goal, which counted as the winner for Pittsburgh. The Penguins’ captain blew past two Buffalo defenders, then snapped a shot top corner on Ryan Miller.
Malkin struck later in the period with a sweet move to the forehand on a breakaway on Miller, who other teams have spoken to Sabres’ general manager Tim Murray about a possible trade for.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)