Jan 14, 2014, 3:14 PM EST
Sometimes if you want to move, you have to move fast.
Take the 2012 NHL trade deadline, the last one the league had during a full season. The cutoff date may have been Feb. 27, but that’s not when all the deals went down. The Flyers, for example, picked up Nicklas Grossmann on Feb. 16, and they got Pavel Kubina the day after that. Jeff Carter was traded from Columbus to Los Angeles on Feb. 23.
This season, the trade deadline is set for March 5. And as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes, there’s another deadline of sorts — Feb. 7, when a trade freeze for the Olympic break goes into effect.
That’s just over three weeks away.
“If they can do it, most teams would like to [make their move before the Olympic break],” Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford told Lebrun.
It remains to be seen if the 2014 trade deadline, including the days leading up to it, is a busy one. As Canucks GM Mike Gillis said late last week, “I can tell you there is very little trade discussion going on anywhere. It’s difficult to make trades when you have the cap lowered and teams’ financial resources under the cap have been used up.”
It’s also worth mentioning that, at this point, only five or six teams have essentially no shot at making the playoffs. How many more will become sellers in the next few weeks? That too remains to be seen.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)