Jan 14, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Sometimes if you want to move, you have to move fast.
Take the 2012 NHL trade deadline, the last one the league had during a full season. The cutoff date may have been Feb. 27, but that’s not when all the deals went down. The Flyers, for example, picked up Nicklas Grossmann on Feb. 16, and they got Pavel Kubina the day after that. Jeff Carter was traded from Columbus to Los Angeles on Feb. 23.
This season, the trade deadline is set for March 5. And as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes, there’s another deadline of sorts — Feb. 7, when a trade freeze for the Olympic break goes into effect.
That’s just over three weeks away.
“If they can do it, most teams would like to [make their move before the Olympic break],” Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford told Lebrun.
It remains to be seen if the 2014 trade deadline, including the days leading up to it, is a busy one. As Canucks GM Mike Gillis said late last week, “I can tell you there is very little trade discussion going on anywhere. It’s difficult to make trades when you have the cap lowered and teams’ financial resources under the cap have been used up.”
It’s also worth mentioning that, at this point, only five or six teams have essentially no shot at making the playoffs. How many more will become sellers in the next few weeks? That too remains to be seen.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)