Jan 14, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Sometimes if you want to move, you have to move fast.
Take the 2012 NHL trade deadline, the last one the league had during a full season. The cutoff date may have been Feb. 27, but that’s not when all the deals went down. The Flyers, for example, picked up Nicklas Grossmann on Feb. 16, and they got Pavel Kubina the day after that. Jeff Carter was traded from Columbus to Los Angeles on Feb. 23.
This season, the trade deadline is set for March 5. And as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes, there’s another deadline of sorts — Feb. 7, when a trade freeze for the Olympic break goes into effect.
That’s just over three weeks away.
“If they can do it, most teams would like to [make their move before the Olympic break],” Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford told Lebrun.
It remains to be seen if the 2014 trade deadline, including the days leading up to it, is a busy one. As Canucks GM Mike Gillis said late last week, “I can tell you there is very little trade discussion going on anywhere. It’s difficult to make trades when you have the cap lowered and teams’ financial resources under the cap have been used up.”
It’s also worth mentioning that, at this point, only five or six teams have essentially no shot at making the playoffs. How many more will become sellers in the next few weeks? That too remains to be seen.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 4
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 30
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 21
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)