Jan 10, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Believe it or not, the NHL’s trade deadline is less than two months away. This year’s cutoff date is March 5, less than two weeks after the gold-medal game in Sochi on Feb. 23.
Unfortunately for fans (and purveyors) of trade speculation, at least one general manager, Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks, is skeptical that much of anything will happen this year.
“I can tell you there is very little trade discussion going on anywhere,” Gillis said today on TEAM 1040 radio (audio). “It’s difficult to make trades when you have the cap lowered and teams’ financial resources under the cap have been used up.
“It’s tough to find trades that you can make that are going to improve your team. It’s tough to find anything but lateral moves and changing the deck chairs.
“But we’ll see. We’re trying. We’re always trying to improve and we’ll see if we can.”
While the Canucks have expressed strong disinterest in acquiring rental players at the deadline (Derek Roy and Samuel Pahlsson didn’t exactly pan out for them in recent years), the list of pending unrestricted free agents isn’t without some compelling names for those teams looking to bolster their rosters for a playoff run.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)