Jan 10, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
Believe it or not, the NHL’s trade deadline is less than two months away. This year’s cutoff date is March 5, less than two weeks after the gold-medal game in Sochi on Feb. 23.
Unfortunately for fans (and purveyors) of trade speculation, at least one general manager, Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks, is skeptical that much of anything will happen this year.
“I can tell you there is very little trade discussion going on anywhere,” Gillis said today on TEAM 1040 radio (audio). “It’s difficult to make trades when you have the cap lowered and teams’ financial resources under the cap have been used up.
“It’s tough to find trades that you can make that are going to improve your team. It’s tough to find anything but lateral moves and changing the deck chairs.
“But we’ll see. We’re trying. We’re always trying to improve and we’ll see if we can.”
While the Canucks have expressed strong disinterest in acquiring rental players at the deadline (Derek Roy and Samuel Pahlsson didn’t exactly pan out for them in recent years), the list of pending unrestricted free agents isn’t without some compelling names for those teams looking to bolster their rosters for a playoff run.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)