Jan 13, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Kevin Cheveldayoff has already fired his head coach. Could the next move for the Jets’ general manager be a trade?
“I think we still need to acquire pieces to either establish a larger core, or maybe move some pieces that re-establish some different things,” Cheveldayoff said this afternoon on TSN 1050 radio.
“This is still a project that’s in the works.”
Certainly, the struggling Jets have some pieces that would garner interest if they should become available. Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien have been the two big names in trade speculation. The former, a 22-year-old winger, is signed through 2017-18 for a cap hit of $5.25 million; the latter, 28, is signed through 2015-16, at $5.2 million.
Winnipeg hosts Phoenix tonight.
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 51
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12