Jan 13, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Kevin Cheveldayoff has already fired his head coach. Could the next move for the Jets’ general manager be a trade?
“I think we still need to acquire pieces to either establish a larger core, or maybe move some pieces that re-establish some different things,” Cheveldayoff said this afternoon on TSN 1050 radio.
“This is still a project that’s in the works.”
Certainly, the struggling Jets have some pieces that would garner interest if they should become available. Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien have been the two big names in trade speculation. The former, a 22-year-old winger, is signed through 2017-18 for a cap hit of $5.25 million; the latter, 28, is signed through 2015-16, at $5.2 million.
Winnipeg hosts Phoenix tonight.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21