Jan 13, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Kevin Cheveldayoff has already fired his head coach. Could the next move for the Jets’ general manager be a trade?
“I think we still need to acquire pieces to either establish a larger core, or maybe move some pieces that re-establish some different things,” Cheveldayoff said this afternoon on TSN 1050 radio.
“This is still a project that’s in the works.”
Certainly, the struggling Jets have some pieces that would garner interest if they should become available. Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien have been the two big names in trade speculation. The former, a 22-year-old winger, is signed through 2017-18 for a cap hit of $5.25 million; the latter, 28, is signed through 2015-16, at $5.2 million.
Winnipeg hosts Phoenix tonight.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)