Jan 13, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Kevin Cheveldayoff has already fired his head coach. Could the next move for the Jets’ general manager be a trade?
“I think we still need to acquire pieces to either establish a larger core, or maybe move some pieces that re-establish some different things,” Cheveldayoff said this afternoon on TSN 1050 radio.
“This is still a project that’s in the works.”
Certainly, the struggling Jets have some pieces that would garner interest if they should become available. Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien have been the two big names in trade speculation. The former, a 22-year-old winger, is signed through 2017-18 for a cap hit of $5.25 million; the latter, 28, is signed through 2015-16, at $5.2 million.
Winnipeg hosts Phoenix tonight.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5