Julien wants ‘everybody’ on the Bruins to be better

Jan 10, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT

juliengetty Getty Images

Bruins coach Claude Julien had some stern words for his team after last night’s 4-2 loss in Los Angeles.

“It took us almost a period-and-a-half to get going here,” Julien said, per CSN New England. “We spotted them a 3-0 lead. Puck management, missed assignments . . . those kinds of things are going to end up costing you. We’re getting exposed in those areas right now [and] we’re going to [have to] get better.

“We definitely could use more from our team, from the goaltender on out. We need big saves; we need our guys to manage the puck better. The mistakes that we’re making are very costly. Everybody needs to be a little better. We didn’t get much from our top two lines tonight, and you need that if you’re going to win some hockey games. They were pretty quiet.”

Last night’s loss was the Bruins’ fourth in the six games they’ve played since defenseman Dennis Seidenberg was lost for the season with a torn ACL/MCL in his right knee.

That certainly won’t quell the speculation that general manager Peter Chiarelli will try to land an experienced d-man prior to the March 5 trade deadline. (The Rangers’ Dan Girardi is reportedly a possibility.)

Boston takes on the Sharks in San Jose tomorrow night.

Related: Bruins’ Rask pulled in second period against Kings

1. amityvillefun - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:34 PM

It should get better with the Eriksson and Thornton coming back. Eriksson most likely will provide some scoring and Thornton some energy and hitting.

Seidenberg is a huge loss, no doubt. He’s so reliable out there that people tend to take him a bit for granted. But make no mistake, he’s one of the best D-men in the league and a huge part of the Bruins core.

The B’s might need some defensive help, but should have enough depth. It really all depends on if the younger players like Hamilton and Bartkowski can step up a bit. If they can’t, then pick up a vet for the playoffs.

• joey4id - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Yes! Because Thornton is such a game breaker. Look! They just loss two games in So Cal, and neither loss had to do with a lack of energy. Krug played a horrible game in Anaheim, and the B’s PK was terrible (0 for 3) against one of the worst PPs of the league. Chara, Hamilton, Task, and Boychuck made costly mistakes in LA. All these guys need to get the act together. Funny how the Pens were able to win without 11 regulars, yet you think Thornton, of all people is going to put the B’s back on the winning track. With or w/o Eriksson if the B’s d and goalie continue to play bad it won’t make a heck of a difference.

• shaundre93 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Ok bud, cool it. Bruins have had plenty of injuries too, didn’t know it was some kind of contest. Just because the pens have done fine through injury doesn’t mean every team can. Get off your high horse. Thornton brings energy to the lineup and is a key part of what is widely considered the best 4th line in the NHL. Eriksson returning should help the third line a lot too, regardless of whether its he or smith on it. Those are important parts of the lineup. Its no mystery they need a defenseman. Not many teams can succeed without their #2 D man for an extended period of time. They’ll let the kids play as long as possible before making a deal. As far as “getting their act together” I don’t think Chara or Boychuk have been bad. It’s mostly Krug and Bartkowski (and maybe Hamilton, but I think he’s been decent). They just aren’t ready for important min or PK time in the NHL, they are being exposed because they are playing over their heads. No shame in that, but it needs to be addressed via trade

• joey4id - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM

shaundre93, Every B’s fan on here were praising the talent of Hamilton, Krug, and Bartkowski when they broke in. Now they have a chance to step up and they are choking. It sure as heck is a contest/competition. If not, what is it?

I wasn’t clear. It’s not about the Pens. It’s about not using injuries for excuses when clearly the B’s are playing very poorly.

I’m going to end every comment with the following;

I’m not a Pens fan

• shaundre93 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM

If they can get girardi without breaking the bank, then do it. IDK what they are looking for, J Morrow plus a first? I’d do that. IMO the pick is expendable where they have so much depth in the system right now.

I love the young guns on the blueline in boston, but they are not capable of containing teams like Anaheim and LA yet and surely Sj will expose them tomorrow. The PK is struggling big time… They need a big time minute eater right now.

Forwards are less of a concern. I thought the Bergeron line looked good, just couldn’t beat Quick. Krejci line was quiet but ill give em a pass. Lucic has been sick and they’ve been beast mode all season.

Rask has been meh. I cant fault him really for any of the goals lately but he has been less than his usual dominant self. He doesn’t look like he could steal a game right now

Speaking of goalies… good lord Johnathan Quick is good. I don’t think last night was especially good for him, but he is the best athlete I have ever seen in net. My jaw would drop every time he would do one of those lightning fast 6 foot slides across the crease all the while keeping his upper body up and square to the puck, ready to react. Its like his upper and lower body are completely separate from each other, its uncanny. Ive been calling for Miller to start for USA… Ive changed my vote. Also, I think the reason his SV% is less than spectacular is just because LA doesn’t give up shots. Last night he had 2g on 20 shots, only 90% but he was a brick wall. Sorry if Im late to the party I just don’t get to see the West much lol

2. amityvillefun - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Thornton is a guy who has won 2 Stanley Cups and knows how to fire up the guys in the locker room and on the ice. He brings hard work and energy to the game. There is a reason why the Bruins have kept him. Is he going to be a MAJOR factor? Probably not, but I’m sure the team will be glad to have him back.

Eriksson is the one who could be a legit difference maker.

Tuukka has had a really good season thus far; this is the first major lull we have seen from him. He’ll rebound and get his game back. I doubt he’ll need to see a shrink or anything… ;)

• joey4id - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Right! Thornton is back and that will fix everything. :-) Even the PK.

In case you missed the headline and his Julien’s quotes;
      Julien wants ‘everybody’ on the Bruins to be better

• shaundre93 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Do you ever say anything positive? Like jeez, if you know so much about hockey, why aren’t you in the NHL as a scout or something? Obviously the whole team needs to be better, that doesn’t mean getting thornton back wont help. Get outta here

• joey4id - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

shaundre93, I call it as I see it. And apparently so does Julien. The d made some costly mistakes last night. Boychuck coughed up the puck. Carter took a shot off a pass from Kopitar, and Rask gave a huge rebound back onto Carter’s stick. Goal! Dougie played the puck from the penalty box. Got a penalty and Chara let Williams walk in alone. B’s lose a face in the d zone. Goal! Dougie got caught inside the Kings blue line in the 3rd giving up a 2 on 1. Goal! You want to hear something positive. Ok! The one thing I appreciated most about the B’s, which is their trademark, they never quit and I was hoping for a comeback.

I’m not a Pens fan

3. slaugin - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

It seemed like Svedberg was put in goal the other night as a showcase.with Tuukka getting a long deal and both Subban and Svedberg being good young prospects I would imagine the Bs could get a top 4 vetran blue liner from a team on the rebuild plan for one of these Goalies

• hockey412 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I think you’d need more than an unproven goalie prospect to land a top 4 Dman…but more importantly, there are only a handful of teams that are in the market even for a starting goalie much less a prospect (especially at the trade deadline)…Edmonton might be one of them, though, and they’ve got a guy you just got rid of…that’s the only team I can think of.

• cfol44 - Jan 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM

We have plenty to offer any team that is willing to trade a top D man, the big issue is pulling the trigger. For some reason Peter seems to wait thing out and it’s going to bite us in the ass this season. 2 more games like the last 2 and we drop to 3rd. This team is getting plan old bad, when everyone else seems to be getting better. And, the easy part of the year is OVER. if you look at the team left to play, they better start putting it together ASAP. Bottom line, not many are looking good right now, very predictable, and don’t play hard anymore. Not good at all.

• pepper2011 - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I think it was more of the other way around. Johnson is fine as a backup, but if anything were to ever happen to Rask; they couldn’t rely on Johnson. I think trading Subban is the play, and use Svedberg as the backup for the next few years. Svedberg didn’t do so hot in the playoffs last year (granted his top 2 dmen were helping the B’s, and they probably wanted to see if he could handle pressure). He played well and didn’t lay an egg; it’s only one game, but enough to test his mental state in nervous situations.

They also kept talking about promises they made him about being called up. Happened around the holidays- family in the country?

Either way; I think they are in good shape. I think Subban in the right package could yield a greater return.

They also have the kid at North Dakota – Zane Gothberg who will be good.

4. montrealbbr - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Bruins are done! Chara is so tired that he is leaning on his stick by the end of games and looks even slower than he did last year. The forwards cant score and now they cant even play defense! I hope boston enjoyed that cup because its going to be a long time before they get to sniff another!

• shaundre93 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM

If the Bruins are done, I cant even fathom where that leaves the Habnots. 20 years and counting…

• stepanup - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Pageau!…Pageau!-Pageau!-Pageau!….Pageau!..Pageau!

• lordstanley65 - Jan 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM

…and this is why no one will ever take you seriously.

5. amityvillefun - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM

He seems to be pretty good at taking out Penguins. He barely hit the guy and he was out like a light.

Last I checked, he doesn’t play the PK. Nor did I say he would “fix everything.” I said he would add “energy and hitting” – because that is what he does. It’s not like I implied he was going to come in and score a hat trick or something.

You watch, he’ll play, and the team will be stoked to have him back. Big morale boost.

If you watch enough hockey, maybe you’ll realize that the little things players do can have a big impact on the outcome of a game.

6. wladmin99 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I am not a huge hockey fan, just a long-time Bruins fan …. so I have never really followed Wade Reddens career, and only sort of heard of him when he surfaced with the Bruins late last year just in time for the play-off run … I thought he did okay, and wondered whether they hang onto him for his experience…. then this season, with the recent spate of injuries with the D and perhaps not wanting t oburn Chara out before the play-offs….. and so many rookies, I wondered whether he’d re-enter the picture … all of a sudden he retired …..

Any opinions on Redden, …. how he played last year in his short stint, and why he didn’t seem to be on the Bruins radar now ??? I am sure his agent must have reached out to Chiarelli…

Some article said he got tired of waiting for a call …. and decided to hang-up his skates…..

• hockey412 - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM

It is SO nice to finally hear someone make the distinction between a home team fan and a hockey fan. No opinion on Redden, his play wasn’t bad it had just deteriorated to a point that you could really get the same play from a young developing Dman. Never heard of him being a key piece of the locker room since he left Ottawa. I’d imagine it’s tough waiting around like that, I’d probably want to just turn the page after a while too.

• supercoop8 - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Redden was acquired for depth as the Bruins were headed in to the playoffs with a beat up blue line. He has never been known a stalwart of solid defense but as a fast skater that could join the rush and play the point on the power play. At this age he is too old to eat up large minutes and the Bruin’s youngsters play the same game and need to be developed. Krug has made some costly mistakes but is putting up decent numbers and his corner play is improving. Hamilton has seen an increase in minutes and responsibilities this year and for the most part has responded well though his penalty last night was costly. Redden isn’t on the radar because he was never intended to be, though his play last year wasn’t terrible. I wouldn’t be surprised however if the Bruins look for a stay at home Dman as the deadline approaches and lower standings teams become sellers.

7. penguins87and71 - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM

The Bruins are going to be fine. Every team has lulls in their season it’s just part of the 82 game season. I do think however that the Bruins kind of rely to much on Rask and the defense to win games, and when the defense and goaltending falter they lose games.

8. beachcomber2020 - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Most of the team seems a little off. Obviously Rask, Chara, top lines get the first look. Injuries are always part the game. I’m just seeing an across the board out of sync-ness. The Bruins intensity that sometimes will overshadow some pure skating and team quickness is in a deep freeze. But make no mistake about it…this team will show up at playoff time. That’s my belief, and I’m sticking to it. The NHL is usually a league that you really can’t take too much stock in the regular season. Usually…but not always. Being ready and having some steam going into the playoffs is the hope here. This team has shown the ability to show up and compete when it really counts. We will see…

9. slysipops - Jan 11, 2014 at 1:13 PM

JULIEN ASKS THE B’S…………………….

• slysipops - Jan 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM

actually that was SUTTER’S message to the KINGS…… JULIEN asks …………..

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches