Dec 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Bruins will have a huge hole to fill on their blue line for the rest of the season.
The team announced defenseman Dennis Seidenberg will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee during their win against Ottawa last night. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said it’ll take him 6-8 months to recover from the injury.
In 34 games this season, Seidenberg had one goal and nine assists while averaging over 21 minutes per game. Losing him for the season after losing Andrew Ference over the summer in free agency to Edmonton makes the Bruins defense look very green.
The Bruins have three steady veterans in captain Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk, and Adam McQuaid. More will be asked of all three of them as well as younger guys like Torey Krug and Matt Bartkowski. Those guys have played admirably this season, but none have been as steady as Seidenberg.
The Bruins recalled defenseman Zach Trotman on an emergency basis to fill Seidenberg’s spot in the meantime and sent goalie Niklas Svedberg back to Providence.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 20
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)