Dec 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Bruins will have a huge hole to fill on their blue line for the rest of the season.
The team announced defenseman Dennis Seidenberg will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee during their win against Ottawa last night. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said it’ll take him 6-8 months to recover from the injury.
In 34 games this season, Seidenberg had one goal and nine assists while averaging over 21 minutes per game. Losing him for the season after losing Andrew Ference over the summer in free agency to Edmonton makes the Bruins defense look very green.
The Bruins have three steady veterans in captain Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk, and Adam McQuaid. More will be asked of all three of them as well as younger guys like Torey Krug and Matt Bartkowski. Those guys have played admirably this season, but none have been as steady as Seidenberg.
The Bruins recalled defenseman Zach Trotman on an emergency basis to fill Seidenberg’s spot in the meantime and sent goalie Niklas Svedberg back to Providence.
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 0
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 1
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 12
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 103
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)