Dec 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Bruins will have a huge hole to fill on their blue line for the rest of the season.
The team announced defenseman Dennis Seidenberg will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee during their win against Ottawa last night. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said it’ll take him 6-8 months to recover from the injury.
In 34 games this season, Seidenberg had one goal and nine assists while averaging over 21 minutes per game. Losing him for the season after losing Andrew Ference over the summer in free agency to Edmonton makes the Bruins defense look very green.
The Bruins have three steady veterans in captain Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk, and Adam McQuaid. More will be asked of all three of them as well as younger guys like Torey Krug and Matt Bartkowski. Those guys have played admirably this season, but none have been as steady as Seidenberg.
The Bruins recalled defenseman Zach Trotman on an emergency basis to fill Seidenberg’s spot in the meantime and sent goalie Niklas Svedberg back to Providence.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 0
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 8
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)