Dec 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Bruins will have a huge hole to fill on their blue line for the rest of the season.
The team announced defenseman Dennis Seidenberg will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee during their win against Ottawa last night. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said it’ll take him 6-8 months to recover from the injury.
In 34 games this season, Seidenberg had one goal and nine assists while averaging over 21 minutes per game. Losing him for the season after losing Andrew Ference over the summer in free agency to Edmonton makes the Bruins defense look very green.
The Bruins have three steady veterans in captain Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk, and Adam McQuaid. More will be asked of all three of them as well as younger guys like Torey Krug and Matt Bartkowski. Those guys have played admirably this season, but none have been as steady as Seidenberg.
The Bruins recalled defenseman Zach Trotman on an emergency basis to fill Seidenberg’s spot in the meantime and sent goalie Niklas Svedberg back to Providence.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)