Jan 8, 2014, 5:50 PM EST
A few eyebrows were raised today in Toronto when the Maple Leafs called up forward Carter Ashton from the AHL Marlies and sent down forward Peter Holland.
Yes, Ashton was playing well in the minors, but it’s not like Holland had been a disaster in the NHL. In fact, the 22-year-old has nine points (5G, 4A) in 22 games for the Leafs.
Then again, if the coach doesn’t play a player, there’s not much point in keeping the player around. In Holland’s last three games, Randy Carlyle had played him for 3:44, 8:52, and 4:30.
Of course, there’s another factor to consider here. If Holland plays 25 games for the Leafs this season, the 2014 third-round pick Toronto gave the Ducks to get him in November becomes a second-rounder.
Still, these were some interesting tweets from Sportsnet 590 radio host Greg Brady:
Fun times in Toronto, as always.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)