Jan 8, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
A few eyebrows were raised today in Toronto when the Maple Leafs called up forward Carter Ashton from the AHL Marlies and sent down forward Peter Holland.
Yes, Ashton was playing well in the minors, but it’s not like Holland had been a disaster in the NHL. In fact, the 22-year-old has nine points (5G, 4A) in 22 games for the Leafs.
Then again, if the coach doesn’t play a player, there’s not much point in keeping the player around. In Holland’s last three games, Randy Carlyle had played him for 3:44, 8:52, and 4:30.
Of course, there’s another factor to consider here. If Holland plays 25 games for the Leafs this season, the 2014 third-round pick Toronto gave the Ducks to get him in November becomes a second-rounder.
Still, these were some interesting tweets from Sportsnet 590 radio host Greg Brady:
Fun times in Toronto, as always.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 101
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (101)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)