Jan 8, 2014, 5:50 PM EST
A few eyebrows were raised today in Toronto when the Maple Leafs called up forward Carter Ashton from the AHL Marlies and sent down forward Peter Holland.
Yes, Ashton was playing well in the minors, but it’s not like Holland had been a disaster in the NHL. In fact, the 22-year-old has nine points (5G, 4A) in 22 games for the Leafs.
Then again, if the coach doesn’t play a player, there’s not much point in keeping the player around. In Holland’s last three games, Randy Carlyle had played him for 3:44, 8:52, and 4:30.
Of course, there’s another factor to consider here. If Holland plays 25 games for the Leafs this season, the 2014 third-round pick Toronto gave the Ducks to get him in November becomes a second-rounder.
Still, these were some interesting tweets from Sportsnet 590 radio host Greg Brady:
Fun times in Toronto, as always.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)