Jan 8, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Jonathan Bernier had a tough night last night. The 25-year-old Leafs’ goalie, who’s been mostly outstanding this season, allowed four goals on 24 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Islanders.
Those four goals included this gaffe in the second period:
After the game, Bernier faced the media horde while sitting in his dressing-room stall. The first part of the scrum was relatively non-eventful, but as the video shows, he didn’t appreciate a question near the end about head coach Randy Carlyle allowing him to stay in the game.
“What do you mean?” Bernier asked the reporter. “Why would I get pulled?”
When the reporter re-phrased his question, Bernier looked away and went silent.
It wasn’t a huge deal. Just a tad uncomfortable. But it revealed the frustration that a lot of Toronto players are feeling as the Leafs continue to get outplayed on a regular basis.
Since starting the season 10-4-0, Toronto has just four regulation wins in its last 30 games.
Amazingly, the Leafs still hold down a playoff position in the Eastern Conference. A 7-4 record in the shootout has helped them to an overall record of 21-18-5. But only six teams in the entire league have fewer regulation/OT wins than Toronto’s 14.
The Leafs are in Raleigh tomorrow to play the streaking Hurricanes, who’ve moved to within two points of Toronto in the standings. An outright Carolina win and the Leafs will be on the outside looking in for the first time this season.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 25
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 53
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)