Jan 8, 2014, 3:14 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier had a tough night last night. The 25-year-old Leafs’ goalie, who’s been mostly outstanding this season, allowed four goals on 24 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Islanders.
Those four goals included this gaffe in the second period:
After the game, Bernier faced the media horde while sitting in his dressing-room stall. The first part of the scrum was relatively non-eventful, but as the video shows, he didn’t appreciate a question near the end about head coach Randy Carlyle allowing him to stay in the game.
“What do you mean?” Bernier asked the reporter. “Why would I get pulled?”
When the reporter re-phrased his question, Bernier looked away and went silent.
It wasn’t a huge deal. Just a tad uncomfortable. But it revealed the frustration that a lot of Toronto players are feeling as the Leafs continue to get outplayed on a regular basis.
Since starting the season 10-4-0, Toronto has just four regulation wins in its last 30 games.
Amazingly, the Leafs still hold down a playoff position in the Eastern Conference. A 7-4 record in the shootout has helped them to an overall record of 21-18-5. But only six teams in the entire league have fewer regulation/OT wins than Toronto’s 14.
The Leafs are in Raleigh tomorrow to play the streaking Hurricanes, who’ve moved to within two points of Toronto in the standings. An outright Carolina win and the Leafs will be on the outside looking in for the first time this season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)