Jan 8, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Jonathan Bernier had a tough night last night. The 25-year-old Leafs’ goalie, who’s been mostly outstanding this season, allowed four goals on 24 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Islanders.
Those four goals included this gaffe in the second period:
After the game, Bernier faced the media horde while sitting in his dressing-room stall. The first part of the scrum was relatively non-eventful, but as the video shows, he didn’t appreciate a question near the end about head coach Randy Carlyle allowing him to stay in the game.
“What do you mean?” Bernier asked the reporter. “Why would I get pulled?”
When the reporter re-phrased his question, Bernier looked away and went silent.
It wasn’t a huge deal. Just a tad uncomfortable. But it revealed the frustration that a lot of Toronto players are feeling as the Leafs continue to get outplayed on a regular basis.
Since starting the season 10-4-0, Toronto has just four regulation wins in its last 30 games.
Amazingly, the Leafs still hold down a playoff position in the Eastern Conference. A 7-4 record in the shootout has helped them to an overall record of 21-18-5. But only six teams in the entire league have fewer regulation/OT wins than Toronto’s 14.
The Leafs are in Raleigh tomorrow to play the streaking Hurricanes, who’ve moved to within two points of Toronto in the standings. An outright Carolina win and the Leafs will be on the outside looking in for the first time this season.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)