Jan 8, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Jonathan Bernier had a tough night last night. The 25-year-old Leafs’ goalie, who’s been mostly outstanding this season, allowed four goals on 24 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Islanders.
Those four goals included this gaffe in the second period:
After the game, Bernier faced the media horde while sitting in his dressing-room stall. The first part of the scrum was relatively non-eventful, but as the video shows, he didn’t appreciate a question near the end about head coach Randy Carlyle allowing him to stay in the game.
“What do you mean?” Bernier asked the reporter. “Why would I get pulled?”
When the reporter re-phrased his question, Bernier looked away and went silent.
It wasn’t a huge deal. Just a tad uncomfortable. But it revealed the frustration that a lot of Toronto players are feeling as the Leafs continue to get outplayed on a regular basis.
Since starting the season 10-4-0, Toronto has just four regulation wins in its last 30 games.
Amazingly, the Leafs still hold down a playoff position in the Eastern Conference. A 7-4 record in the shootout has helped them to an overall record of 21-18-5. But only six teams in the entire league have fewer regulation/OT wins than Toronto’s 14.
The Leafs are in Raleigh tomorrow to play the streaking Hurricanes, who’ve moved to within two points of Toronto in the standings. An outright Carolina win and the Leafs will be on the outside looking in for the first time this season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)