Jan 8, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Jonathan Bernier had a tough night last night. The 25-year-old Leafs’ goalie, who’s been mostly outstanding this season, allowed four goals on 24 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Islanders.
Those four goals included this gaffe in the second period:
After the game, Bernier faced the media horde while sitting in his dressing-room stall. The first part of the scrum was relatively non-eventful, but as the video shows, he didn’t appreciate a question near the end about head coach Randy Carlyle allowing him to stay in the game.
“What do you mean?” Bernier asked the reporter. “Why would I get pulled?”
When the reporter re-phrased his question, Bernier looked away and went silent.
It wasn’t a huge deal. Just a tad uncomfortable. But it revealed the frustration that a lot of Toronto players are feeling as the Leafs continue to get outplayed on a regular basis.
Since starting the season 10-4-0, Toronto has just four regulation wins in its last 30 games.
Amazingly, the Leafs still hold down a playoff position in the Eastern Conference. A 7-4 record in the shootout has helped them to an overall record of 21-18-5. But only six teams in the entire league have fewer regulation/OT wins than Toronto’s 14.
The Leafs are in Raleigh tomorrow to play the streaking Hurricanes, who’ve moved to within two points of Toronto in the standings. An outright Carolina win and the Leafs will be on the outside looking in for the first time this season.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)