Nov 16, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks announced that they have shipped forwards Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for 2014 third-round and seventh-round draft picks as well as defenseman Jesse Blacker.
Update: The third-round selection will become a second-round pick if Holland plays in at least 25 contests with Toronto, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Holland will provide the Toronto Maple Leafs with some desperately needed help up the middle. The Maple Leafs are currently without centers Dave Bolland (ankle), Tyler Bozak (hamstring), and Nazem Kadri (suspended). That being said, Holland is more than just a short-term fix. The 22-year-old center was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and has been dominant in the minors.
Toronto will also add some depth with the acquisition of 29-year-old Staubitz. The Ducks have kept him in the minors this season, so they’ll probably be happy to get what’s left of his one-way, $650,000 salary off the books. He has 21 points and 521 penalty minutes in 230 career NHL games.
Blacker, 22, has yet to make his NHL debut, but he had 11 points and 33 penalty minutes in 61 AHL games last season. He was taken with the 58th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Carlyle says Holland will play with some of their better players tonight.
— James Mírtle (@mirtle) November 16, 2013
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)