Nov 16, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks announced that they have shipped forwards Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for 2014 third-round and seventh-round draft picks as well as defenseman Jesse Blacker.
Update: The third-round selection will become a second-round pick if Holland plays in at least 25 contests with Toronto, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Holland will provide the Toronto Maple Leafs with some desperately needed help up the middle. The Maple Leafs are currently without centers Dave Bolland (ankle), Tyler Bozak (hamstring), and Nazem Kadri (suspended). That being said, Holland is more than just a short-term fix. The 22-year-old center was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and has been dominant in the minors.
Toronto will also add some depth with the acquisition of 29-year-old Staubitz. The Ducks have kept him in the minors this season, so they’ll probably be happy to get what’s left of his one-way, $650,000 salary off the books. He has 21 points and 521 penalty minutes in 230 career NHL games.
Blacker, 22, has yet to make his NHL debut, but he had 11 points and 33 penalty minutes in 61 AHL games last season. He was taken with the 58th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Carlyle says Holland will play with some of their better players tonight.
— James Mírtle (@mirtle) November 16, 2013
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (42)