Dec 29, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
The details regarding Zach Parise‘s foot injury remain a little cloudy, but Sunday’s update from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo was far from positive. Russo hears that Parise has suffered a stress fracture, which would mean a recovery time of four-to-six weeks.
Well, for a normal human, at least.
This is far from a Minnesota Wild-official announcement, so it might be best to note Russo’s own phrasing:
Zach Parise continues to work hard off the ice but is not allowed to be on it. I don’t think we’re going to see him for awhile. I don’t know what awhile means, but I hear the latest MRI he had showed a fracture in his foot that didn’t show up the first time around.
Typically stress fractures take four to six weeks. Knowing Parise, it won’t take that long and this shouldn’t affect his Olympic status, but coach Mike Yeo has changed his tune the past few days and stopped calling it day-to-day.
It’s tough not to worry at least a little bit that such an injury might put the 29-year-old at risk for the Olympics, especially with the roster announcement coming up just a few days from now. After all, one may argue that Parise made this situation worse by (admirably) racing back weeks before he was expected to return back in November.
One thing we do know is that Parise is on the IR. The question of how long that will be is as unclear as it is important, both for the Wild and for the U.S. Olympic team.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)