Dec 29, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
The details regarding Zach Parise‘s foot injury remain a little cloudy, but Sunday’s update from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo was far from positive. Russo hears that Parise has suffered a stress fracture, which would mean a recovery time of four-to-six weeks.
Well, for a normal human, at least.
This is far from a Minnesota Wild-official announcement, so it might be best to note Russo’s own phrasing:
Zach Parise continues to work hard off the ice but is not allowed to be on it. I don’t think we’re going to see him for awhile. I don’t know what awhile means, but I hear the latest MRI he had showed a fracture in his foot that didn’t show up the first time around.
Typically stress fractures take four to six weeks. Knowing Parise, it won’t take that long and this shouldn’t affect his Olympic status, but coach Mike Yeo has changed his tune the past few days and stopped calling it day-to-day.
It’s tough not to worry at least a little bit that such an injury might put the 29-year-old at risk for the Olympics, especially with the roster announcement coming up just a few days from now. After all, one may argue that Parise made this situation worse by (admirably) racing back weeks before he was expected to return back in November.
One thing we do know is that Parise is on the IR. The question of how long that will be is as unclear as it is important, both for the Wild and for the U.S. Olympic team.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)