Dec 29, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
The details regarding Zach Parise‘s foot injury remain a little cloudy, but Sunday’s update from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo was far from positive. Russo hears that Parise has suffered a stress fracture, which would mean a recovery time of four-to-six weeks.
Well, for a normal human, at least.
This is far from a Minnesota Wild-official announcement, so it might be best to note Russo’s own phrasing:
Zach Parise continues to work hard off the ice but is not allowed to be on it. I don’t think we’re going to see him for awhile. I don’t know what awhile means, but I hear the latest MRI he had showed a fracture in his foot that didn’t show up the first time around.
Typically stress fractures take four to six weeks. Knowing Parise, it won’t take that long and this shouldn’t affect his Olympic status, but coach Mike Yeo has changed his tune the past few days and stopped calling it day-to-day.
It’s tough not to worry at least a little bit that such an injury might put the 29-year-old at risk for the Olympics, especially with the roster announcement coming up just a few days from now. After all, one may argue that Parise made this situation worse by (admirably) racing back weeks before he was expected to return back in November.
One thing we do know is that Parise is on the IR. The question of how long that will be is as unclear as it is important, both for the Wild and for the U.S. Olympic team.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)