Dec 29, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
The details regarding Zach Parise‘s foot injury remain a little cloudy, but Sunday’s update from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo was far from positive. Russo hears that Parise has suffered a stress fracture, which would mean a recovery time of four-to-six weeks.
Well, for a normal human, at least.
This is far from a Minnesota Wild-official announcement, so it might be best to note Russo’s own phrasing:
Zach Parise continues to work hard off the ice but is not allowed to be on it. I don’t think we’re going to see him for awhile. I don’t know what awhile means, but I hear the latest MRI he had showed a fracture in his foot that didn’t show up the first time around.
Typically stress fractures take four to six weeks. Knowing Parise, it won’t take that long and this shouldn’t affect his Olympic status, but coach Mike Yeo has changed his tune the past few days and stopped calling it day-to-day.
It’s tough not to worry at least a little bit that such an injury might put the 29-year-old at risk for the Olympics, especially with the roster announcement coming up just a few days from now. After all, one may argue that Parise made this situation worse by (admirably) racing back weeks before he was expected to return back in November.
One thing we do know is that Parise is on the IR. The question of how long that will be is as unclear as it is important, both for the Wild and for the U.S. Olympic team.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 16
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)