Dec 28, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
Minnesota reassigned goalie Johan Gustafsson to the AHL’s Iowa Wild, heavily implying that Harding will at least dress as Niklas Backstrom‘s backup against the New York Islanders on Sunday, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo believes.
The Wild are only labeling Parise’s issue a lower-body injury, but people including Russo think that he’s sitting out games because of a foot injury from earlier this season. As you may remember, Parise came back well ahead of schedule from that issue, yet rumblings surfaced that his courageous comeback might have backfired.
Then again, maybe it’s a matter of timing a break for the maximum amount of rest with the minimum amount of games missed. Russo notes that the 29-year-old winger is eligible to return for Tuesday (Dec. 31), so that would mean missing only three contests since his last game on Dec. 22. (The Wild may opt to rest him more than that, naturally.)
Big picture-wise, it sounds like Parise and Harding are closing in on returns in the near future, which is great news for a Wild team that’s currently struggling with a four-game losing streak.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)