Dec 28, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
Minnesota reassigned goalie Johan Gustafsson to the AHL’s Iowa Wild, heavily implying that Harding will at least dress as Niklas Backstrom‘s backup against the New York Islanders on Sunday, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo believes.
The Wild are only labeling Parise’s issue a lower-body injury, but people including Russo think that he’s sitting out games because of a foot injury from earlier this season. As you may remember, Parise came back well ahead of schedule from that issue, yet rumblings surfaced that his courageous comeback might have backfired.
Then again, maybe it’s a matter of timing a break for the maximum amount of rest with the minimum amount of games missed. Russo notes that the 29-year-old winger is eligible to return for Tuesday (Dec. 31), so that would mean missing only three contests since his last game on Dec. 22. (The Wild may opt to rest him more than that, naturally.)
Big picture-wise, it sounds like Parise and Harding are closing in on returns in the near future, which is great news for a Wild team that’s currently struggling with a four-game losing streak.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)