Dec 27, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Interesting times in Washington
Philipp Grubauer gets the call over Braden Holtby (again) on Friday when the Caps host the Rangers at Verizon. The German ‘tender has been a revelation for Washington since his recall from AHL Hershey, starting five of 10 games (tonight will be his sixth) while posting a 4-1-1 record with a 2.20 GAA and .934 save percentage.
This will also mark Gubauer’s second straight start, as he stopped 26 of 29 shots in a 3-2 loss to Anaheim on Monday. He’ll be going up against another backup making waves in Cam Talbot, who’ll make his third straight start for the Rangers ahead of Henrik Lundqvist.
Peters over Ward
Carolina’s goaltending situation took another curious turn on Friday, as the ‘Canes announced Justin Peters would make his third straight start when they host Pittsburgh at PNC Arena.
Trade rumors were swirling around Peters and Anton Khudobin last week, but the new story might be Peters taking a run at Cam Ward‘s No. 1 gig. Peters stopped 47 of 50 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Tampa Bay on Saturday, earning him Monday’s start against Columbus — a 4-3 loss in which he only made 21 saves.
Despite that, the ‘Canes opted to stand pat in goal. That means Ward now will go at least nine days between games; he last played in a 4-2 loss to Washington on Dec. 20, and the ‘Canes don’t play again until Sunday in Toronto.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)