Dec 27, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Interesting times in Washington
Philipp Grubauer gets the call over Braden Holtby (again) on Friday when the Caps host the Rangers at Verizon. The German ‘tender has been a revelation for Washington since his recall from AHL Hershey, starting five of 10 games (tonight will be his sixth) while posting a 4-1-1 record with a 2.20 GAA and .934 save percentage.
This will also mark Gubauer’s second straight start, as he stopped 26 of 29 shots in a 3-2 loss to Anaheim on Monday. He’ll be going up against another backup making waves in Cam Talbot, who’ll make his third straight start for the Rangers ahead of Henrik Lundqvist.
Peters over Ward
Carolina’s goaltending situation took another curious turn on Friday, as the ‘Canes announced Justin Peters would make his third straight start when they host Pittsburgh at PNC Arena.
Trade rumors were swirling around Peters and Anton Khudobin last week, but the new story might be Peters taking a run at Cam Ward‘s No. 1 gig. Peters stopped 47 of 50 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Tampa Bay on Saturday, earning him Monday’s start against Columbus — a 4-3 loss in which he only made 21 saves.
Despite that, the ‘Canes opted to stand pat in goal. That means Ward now will go at least nine days between games; he last played in a 4-2 loss to Washington on Dec. 20, and the ‘Canes don’t play again until Sunday in Toronto.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)