Dec 27, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Interesting times in Washington
Philipp Grubauer gets the call over Braden Holtby (again) on Friday when the Caps host the Rangers at Verizon. The German ‘tender has been a revelation for Washington since his recall from AHL Hershey, starting five of 10 games (tonight will be his sixth) while posting a 4-1-1 record with a 2.20 GAA and .934 save percentage.
This will also mark Gubauer’s second straight start, as he stopped 26 of 29 shots in a 3-2 loss to Anaheim on Monday. He’ll be going up against another backup making waves in Cam Talbot, who’ll make his third straight start for the Rangers ahead of Henrik Lundqvist.
Peters over Ward
Carolina’s goaltending situation took another curious turn on Friday, as the ‘Canes announced Justin Peters would make his third straight start when they host Pittsburgh at PNC Arena.
Trade rumors were swirling around Peters and Anton Khudobin last week, but the new story might be Peters taking a run at Cam Ward‘s No. 1 gig. Peters stopped 47 of 50 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Tampa Bay on Saturday, earning him Monday’s start against Columbus — a 4-3 loss in which he only made 21 saves.
Despite that, the ‘Canes opted to stand pat in goal. That means Ward now will go at least nine days between games; he last played in a 4-2 loss to Washington on Dec. 20, and the ‘Canes don’t play again until Sunday in Toronto.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)