Dec 27, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Interesting times in Washington
Philipp Grubauer gets the call over Braden Holtby (again) on Friday when the Caps host the Rangers at Verizon. The German ‘tender has been a revelation for Washington since his recall from AHL Hershey, starting five of 10 games (tonight will be his sixth) while posting a 4-1-1 record with a 2.20 GAA and .934 save percentage.
This will also mark Gubauer’s second straight start, as he stopped 26 of 29 shots in a 3-2 loss to Anaheim on Monday. He’ll be going up against another backup making waves in Cam Talbot, who’ll make his third straight start for the Rangers ahead of Henrik Lundqvist.
Peters over Ward
Carolina’s goaltending situation took another curious turn on Friday, as the ‘Canes announced Justin Peters would make his third straight start when they host Pittsburgh at PNC Arena.
Trade rumors were swirling around Peters and Anton Khudobin last week, but the new story might be Peters taking a run at Cam Ward‘s No. 1 gig. Peters stopped 47 of 50 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Tampa Bay on Saturday, earning him Monday’s start against Columbus — a 4-3 loss in which he only made 21 saves.
Despite that, the ‘Canes opted to stand pat in goal. That means Ward now will go at least nine days between games; he last played in a 4-2 loss to Washington on Dec. 20, and the ‘Canes don’t play again until Sunday in Toronto.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 20
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 42
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9