Dec 27, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
Well, Talbot did play well, stopping 25 of 26 Toronto shots in a 2-1 shootout win for the Rangers. And per Pat Leonard of the Daily News, it seems all but certain he’ll get the nod from coach Alain Vigneault to start again tonight in Washington.
Talbot, 26, is 8-2-0 with a .938 save percentage. Those numbers in comparison with Lundqvist’s (10-15-2, .905) would seem to make it an obvious decision for Vigneault, except for the fact the latter just signed a seven-year, $59.5 million contract extension.
To be clear, though, this isn’t a goaltending controversy, and we’re not selling it as such. Lundqvist is still the No. 1; he’s just going through a tough stretch while Talbot happens to be going through a good one. It’s the nature of goaltending.
Does it look good? No, not particularly. But with his team on the bubble to make the playoffs, Vigneault — a guy who knows what a real goaltending controversy looks like after his time in Vancouver — can’t afford to worry about optics.
Lundqvist: "I didn't expect a change…I have to work harder"—
Steve Zipay (@stevezipay) December 27, 2013
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)