Dec 27, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
Well, Talbot did play well, stopping 25 of 26 Toronto shots in a 2-1 shootout win for the Rangers. And per Pat Leonard of the Daily News, it seems all but certain he’ll get the nod from coach Alain Vigneault to start again tonight in Washington.
Talbot, 26, is 8-2-0 with a .938 save percentage. Those numbers in comparison with Lundqvist’s (10-15-2, .905) would seem to make it an obvious decision for Vigneault, except for the fact the latter just signed a seven-year, $59.5 million contract extension.
To be clear, though, this isn’t a goaltending controversy, and we’re not selling it as such. Lundqvist is still the No. 1; he’s just going through a tough stretch while Talbot happens to be going through a good one. It’s the nature of goaltending.
Does it look good? No, not particularly. But with his team on the bubble to make the playoffs, Vigneault — a guy who knows what a real goaltending controversy looks like after his time in Vancouver — can’t afford to worry about optics.
Lundqvist: "I didn't expect a change…I have to work harder"—
Steve Zipay (@stevezipay) December 27, 2013
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)