Dec 23, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The difference in numbers between the two goalies is a stark one — Talbot is 7-2-0 with a .936 save percentage; Lundqvist is 10-15-2 with a .905 save rate.
“The way he’s playing, and we got a big win yesterday, I kind of expected it,” Lundqvist said of coach Alain Vigneault’s decision, per Newsday. “It’s about winning, this team getting points and he’s doing really well. I have to push myself to be a little bit better to help the team get points here.”
Yesterday, Talbot stopped 24 of 25 shots in a 4-1 win over Minnesota. And, of course, his solid play comes not long after Lundqvist signed a big seven-year, $59.5 million contract extension.
For now, Lundqvist is “just trying to work hard and stay positive.” But staying positive hasn’t been easy this December, during which his save percentage has been a lowly .874.
The Rangers are in Washington Friday for their first game after the Christmas break. If Talbot plays well and wins again tonight, will he get a third straight start?
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 34
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)