Dec 14, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Detroit Red Wings 4-1 on Saturday, yet that final score was far from the biggest news. Here are three updates on other stories that emerged from this evening:
Deryk Engelland will face an in-person hearing with the league regarding his check on Justin Abdelkader, according to the NHL’s Player Safety Twitter feed. That opens the door for a potentially longer suspension. Here’s video of that hit:
Engelland, 31, has one three-game suspension on his NHL resume.
In injury news: Evgeni Malkin suffered a lower-body injury during Saturday’s game while Kris Letang missed it altogether with an upper-body issue. More might be known on Sunday; for the moment, head coach Dan Bylsma said he wasn’t sure if either problem might be long-term.
Pittsburgh already came into tonight banged up, but things could just get worse over the next few days.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 64
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50