Dec 14, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Detroit Red Wings 4-1 on Saturday, yet that final score was far from the biggest news. Here are three updates on other stories that emerged from this evening:
Deryk Engelland will face an in-person hearing with the league regarding his check on Justin Abdelkader, according to the NHL’s Player Safety Twitter feed. That opens the door for a potentially longer suspension. Here’s video of that hit:
Engelland, 31, has one three-game suspension on his NHL resume.
In injury news: Evgeni Malkin suffered a lower-body injury during Saturday’s game while Kris Letang missed it altogether with an upper-body issue. More might be known on Sunday; for the moment, head coach Dan Bylsma said he wasn’t sure if either problem might be long-term.
Pittsburgh already came into tonight banged up, but things could just get worse over the next few days.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)