Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
“We’re not earning it,” Tavares said at the time.
So what are they saying after their 3-0 loss to the Los Angeles Kings?
The players held a closed-door meeting after dropping their ninth consecutive contest to give each of them an opportunity to speak to the group, according to Newsday. But after going so long without a win, is there really anything that’s been left unsaid?
“It’s a broken record right now,” defenseman Matt Carkner said.
Islanders coach Jack Capuano, whose job might be on the line, suggested that the team’s top line needs to step up and shoot more. He also pointed to their anemic effort with the man advantage as one of the causes for their latest loss.
Meanwhile the team is now 10 points out of a playoff spot, which leaves them with a 0.4% chance of advancing to the postseason, according to Sports Club Stats.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)