Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
“We’re not earning it,” Tavares said at the time.
So what are they saying after their 3-0 loss to the Los Angeles Kings?
The players held a closed-door meeting after dropping their ninth consecutive contest to give each of them an opportunity to speak to the group, according to Newsday. But after going so long without a win, is there really anything that’s been left unsaid?
“It’s a broken record right now,” defenseman Matt Carkner said.
Islanders coach Jack Capuano, whose job might be on the line, suggested that the team’s top line needs to step up and shoot more. He also pointed to their anemic effort with the man advantage as one of the causes for their latest loss.
Meanwhile the team is now 10 points out of a playoff spot, which leaves them with a 0.4% chance of advancing to the postseason, according to Sports Club Stats.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)