Dec 6, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Source: Laviolette "definitely" a top candidate if Isles make coaching change. Me: Move quickly then. He'll have other offers.—
Chris Botta (@ChrisBottaNHL) December 06, 2013
That there tweet from Chris Botta of SportsBusiness Journal comes on the heels of yet another loss for the New York Islanders (8-16-5), who are now winless in their last eight under head coach Jack Capuano.
Peter Laviolette, you may or may not recall, coached the Isles for two seasons (01-02 and 02-03), leading them to the playoffs in both seasons before being fired by former general manager Mike Milbury.
“I’m not talking about strictly the results,” Milbury said at the time. “I’m talking about a methodology in coaching and communication with players. If you don’t have it, it’s pretty tough to succeed. And it looked to me as if it had been lost.”
Laviolette went on to win the Stanley Cup as Carolina’s coach. He was fired by the Flyers earlier this season.
Of course, how seriously Isles GM Garth Snow is actually considering a coaching change remains to be seen. On Sunday, Snow was reportedly not ready to relieve Capuano of his duties. But the pressure is obviously building to do something, be it fire the coach or make a trade (say, for a goalie?).
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)