Dec 6, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Source: Laviolette "definitely" a top candidate if Isles make coaching change. Me: Move quickly then. He'll have other offers.—
Chris Botta (@ChrisBottaNHL) December 06, 2013
That there tweet from Chris Botta of SportsBusiness Journal comes on the heels of yet another loss for the New York Islanders (8-16-5), who are now winless in their last eight under head coach Jack Capuano.
Peter Laviolette, you may or may not recall, coached the Isles for two seasons (01-02 and 02-03), leading them to the playoffs in both seasons before being fired by former general manager Mike Milbury.
“I’m not talking about strictly the results,” Milbury said at the time. “I’m talking about a methodology in coaching and communication with players. If you don’t have it, it’s pretty tough to succeed. And it looked to me as if it had been lost.”
Laviolette went on to win the Stanley Cup as Carolina’s coach. He was fired by the Flyers earlier this season.
Of course, how seriously Isles GM Garth Snow is actually considering a coaching change remains to be seen. On Sunday, Snow was reportedly not ready to relieve Capuano of his duties. But the pressure is obviously building to do something, be it fire the coach or make a trade (say, for a goalie?).
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 0
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 9
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 18
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)