Dec 7, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
After Boston Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk was injured after being boarded Thursday night against the Montreal Canadiens, it seemed like he might be out for a while. Hockey players are made of sterner stuff these days it seems.
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli announced Boychuk would miss 3-7 days with a sprained back. Being out at most a week seems miraculous given that he was taken off the Bell Centre ice on a stretcher and was in very obvious pain when Habs forward Max Pacioretty hit him from behind.
The news was good yesterday when the Bruins said it was a lower back injury and not a head or neck-related. After seeing the play, assumptions were for the worst. At least now we’re proven again what happens when we assume things.
The downside for Boston is the next seven days are busy as they’ve got five games between today and next Saturday. They’re at home against Pittsburgh tonight and then hit the road for four straight starting in Toronto on Sunday.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 83
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 38
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 71
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7