Dec 5, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins went down a defenseman early in tonight’s game against Montreal after Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty pushed defenseman Johnny Boychuk into the boards behind Montreal’s net at 4:28 of the first period.
Boychuk’s shoulder and arm appeared to be what collided with the end boards first. He got onto his knees and hands following the hit as he talked to the Bruins’ trainer. They decided to take him off on a stretcher.
The 29-year-old blueliner averaged 21:02 minutes per game going into this contest and ranks second on the team in shorthanded playing time.
Pacioretty was given a two-minute minor as a result of the incident, but the Bruins couldn’t capitalize on the man advantage, but Gregory Campbell gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead in the dying minutes of the first period.
Update: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that Boychuk was taken to the hospital for observation, reports CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. The defenseman has “movement in all extremities.”
As per Renaud Lavoie, Boychuk will travel with the Bruins tonight.
You can see the play below:
Weird play w/Pacioretty/Boychuk & hard to decipher whats wrong w/JB55. Don’t think it was dirty IMHO. Worthy of 2 min penalty that it got
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 6, 2013
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)