Dec 5, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins went down a defenseman early in tonight’s game against Montreal after Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty pushed defenseman Johnny Boychuk into the boards behind Montreal’s net at 4:28 of the first period.
Boychuk’s shoulder and arm appeared to be what collided with the end boards first. He got onto his knees and hands following the hit as he talked to the Bruins’ trainer. They decided to take him off on a stretcher.
The 29-year-old blueliner averaged 21:02 minutes per game going into this contest and ranks second on the team in shorthanded playing time.
Pacioretty was given a two-minute minor as a result of the incident, but the Bruins couldn’t capitalize on the man advantage, but Gregory Campbell gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead in the dying minutes of the first period.
Update: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that Boychuk was taken to the hospital for observation, reports CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. The defenseman has “movement in all extremities.”
As per Renaud Lavoie, Boychuk will travel with the Bruins tonight.
You can see the play below:
Weird play w/Pacioretty/Boychuk & hard to decipher whats wrong w/JB55. Don’t think it was dirty IMHO. Worthy of 2 min penalty that it got
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 6, 2013
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)