Dec 5, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins went down a defenseman early in tonight’s game against Montreal after Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty pushed defenseman Johnny Boychuk into the boards behind Montreal’s net at 4:28 of the first period.
Boychuk’s shoulder and arm appeared to be what collided with the end boards first. He got onto his knees and hands following the hit as he talked to the Bruins’ trainer. They decided to take him off on a stretcher.
The 29-year-old blueliner averaged 21:02 minutes per game going into this contest and ranks second on the team in shorthanded playing time.
Pacioretty was given a two-minute minor as a result of the incident, but the Bruins couldn’t capitalize on the man advantage, but Gregory Campbell gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead in the dying minutes of the first period.
Update: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that Boychuk was taken to the hospital for observation, reports CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. The defenseman has “movement in all extremities.”
As per Renaud Lavoie, Boychuk will travel with the Bruins tonight.
You can see the play below:
Weird play w/Pacioretty/Boychuk & hard to decipher whats wrong w/JB55. Don’t think it was dirty IMHO. Worthy of 2 min penalty that it got
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 6, 2013
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)