Dec 5, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins went down a defenseman early in tonight’s game against Montreal after Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty pushed defenseman Johnny Boychuk into the boards behind Montreal’s net at 4:28 of the first period.
Boychuk’s shoulder and arm appeared to be what collided with the end boards first. He got onto his knees and hands following the hit as he talked to the Bruins’ trainer. They decided to take him off on a stretcher.
The 29-year-old blueliner averaged 21:02 minutes per game going into this contest and ranks second on the team in shorthanded playing time.
Pacioretty was given a two-minute minor as a result of the incident, but the Bruins couldn’t capitalize on the man advantage, but Gregory Campbell gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead in the dying minutes of the first period.
Update: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that Boychuk was taken to the hospital for observation, reports CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. The defenseman has “movement in all extremities.”
As per Renaud Lavoie, Boychuk will travel with the Bruins tonight.
You can see the play below:
Weird play w/Pacioretty/Boychuk & hard to decipher whats wrong w/JB55. Don’t think it was dirty IMHO. Worthy of 2 min penalty that it got
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 6, 2013
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35