Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities)

Dec 5, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT

Boychuk

The Boston Bruins went down a defenseman early in tonight’s game against Montreal after Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty pushed defenseman Johnny Boychuk into the boards behind Montreal’s net at 4:28 of the first period.

Boychuk’s shoulder and arm appeared to be what collided with the end boards first. He got onto his knees and hands following the hit as he talked to the Bruins’ trainer. They decided to take him off on a stretcher.

The 29-year-old blueliner averaged 21:02 minutes per game going into this contest and ranks second on the team in shorthanded playing time.

Pacioretty was given a two-minute minor as a result of the incident, but the Bruins couldn’t capitalize on the man advantage, but Gregory Campbell gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead in the dying minutes of the first period.

Update: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that Boychuk was taken to the hospital for observation, reports CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. The defenseman has “movement in all extremities.”

As per Renaud Lavoie, Boychuk will travel with the Bruins tonight.

You can see the play below:

1. drewsylvania - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Bruins fan here. Really wasn’t a board. But just hope Boychuck’s going to be OK.

• drewsylvania - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

*Boychuk

• c9castine - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

yeah it was maybe a 2 min but not a dirty play….whats wrong with him? he was moving all his extremities right away but must have been experiencing a lot of neck pain or something. went in real weird.

• jpelle82 - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM

saw it live. he got up onto hands and knees, the trainers came out…seemed like he was going to be ok. then he started twitching uncontrollably like he was having a seizure while he was up on his hands and knees and his head just kinda drooping. the above video skips to the gurney taking him off before you see that happening. they had him lay back down and took him off. it was actually kind of weird, never saw anything like it before.

• c9castine - Dec 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM

well that doesn’t sound good.

• nostredummass - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Maybe so…
      But if it had been a Hab Montreal would have a warrant out for Pacciaretti. Habs fans would be insisting it was malicious (and vengeful) and demanding his head. Can’t decide if that means Candiens fans are rabid….or B’s fans are being kinda wishy-washy. Either way….as a Bruins fan in Montreal…I hope Johnny is OK. Can’t do much better than the Montreal General IMHO.

2. sabatimus - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Wasn’t really a board. My comment about iton a previous Bruins article:

Pacioretty’s hit was called a board, though it was more of a shoulder hit (despite what Brickley said), and Boychuck was hit sideways into the boards…but didn’t appear to get injured until Pacioretty followed through on his hit and inadvertently hit Boychuck in the back of the head with either his shoulder or his own head.

In any case, he couldn’t stand up (though he was on his knees at one point) and had to be stretchered off. At one point Boychuck was shaking on the ice. Seizure? Boston and Montreal personnel secured him to a board and transferred him to a gurney :(

• bsaures - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I think it was his shoulder he was clutching it right after he got hit

• sabatimus - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Yeah, he did clutch his shoulder. But then why stretcher him off? By extension, a collarbone/neck injury?

• bsaures - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Sabatimus- Perhaps if it was his collarbone then getting up would be painful. Definitly upper body area maybe whiplash on his neck from hitting the boards

3. mclovinhockey - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Anyone else first thought was a punctured lung? Hope he is alright. The amount of sweat on his face and the way he looked like he was having trouble breathing is a bit scary, although the sweat could be from just playing rather than a side effect of the injury.

• sabatimus - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I saw the sweat. Did look like he had trouble breathing. Could be a bruised lung, or a seizure could cause those same symptoms–to me he appeared to be shaking.

4. dropthepuckeh - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Mon Dieu! Did you see Maxi deliberately steer Boychuk into the side of the ice where the boards are?? He was clearly trying to line him up to hit that wall and injure him. How does one call the Montreal police from Boston?! I expect a full investigation into this deliberate intent to injure. Max should be arrested if he shows up in Boston. Merde!

• stepanup - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Way to be that guy. Nobody believes it was dirty, not even fanboy Hags. Good job trying to stir something out of nothing.

5. amityvillefun - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Yikes. I hope Boychuk is going to be ok. He’s one of my favorite Bruins. The twitching he was doing did not look good. Scary stuff.

It was cool that the Hab fans gave him a solid cheer when they took him off. Thanks for that Montreal.

• amityvillefun - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Movement reported in all his extremities. Good sign there.

6. dropthepuckeh - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Apparently he is able to move all extremities and he called his folks from the ambulance to say he was going to be okay. Great news….

7. hosewater2 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Mason Raymond hopes Boychuk fully recovers from that clean hit.

• amityvillefun - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM

That’s mighty nice of Mason. Hope his back is doing better these days.

• micasa81 - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I was afraid somebody would say this. Yes, the Raymond hit is in all us Canuck fans’ minds, but come on. You don’t chirp a guy who had to get taken out on a stretcher.

• drewzducks - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Now that he no longer plays with a choking embarrassment of a franchise I believe the future is bright for Mason.

• imawolfman - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM

He never played for the Might Ducks dude.

• drewzducks - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Huh ?

• drewzducks - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM

If you’re confused by my screen moniker “ducks” I’m guessing you never heard of the University of Oregon. I’m a Bruins fan but now that you’ve managed to attempt to disparage the “Might” Ducks, I seem to recall a Stanley Cup championship that they won in 06-07. Still waiting for that first Cannots victory parade. And no, the President’s Trophy doesn’t count.

• imawolfman - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Yeah, I’m vaguely familiar with U of Oregon. But you know, I did the hockey blog math. U of O is the school that never wins anything. Personally I think you should support the Beavers. Better moniker. Quack

• hockey412 - Dec 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I was actually thinking that too. No bad feelings for Boychuk, he’s one of the league’s dirtiest.

8. mp1131211 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM

That’s got to be lumbar. I’ve watched it a dozen times on GC replays. I think he hyper-extended and injured his low back. I dunno… hard to tell from what we could see. It looked pretty harmless. Obviously it wasn’t. Man, hope he’s OK.

• sabatimus - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Joe Haggerty reports a “lower-back injury”. Looks like you were right.

• mp1131211 - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Yeah, you could tell it wasn’t shoulder because he was holding himself up by his shoulders. And I watched over and over to see if he hit his head, but it really didn’t look like he did if you watched it closely. Only thing it seemed it could have been to me was low back.

9. the8man - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Bruins fan here.

Didn’t see anything nefarious in the hit. Maybe got the wind knocked out of him or slight trauma to his trachea.

I thought it was boarding and worth a minor. If it was anything more the league will review and address appropriately. At worst, it was just a sloppy hit. But I saw no intent to injure.

Hoping for the best for Johnny and both squads going forward.

10. steelers88 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Scary stuff. Praying for Boychuck hoping he has a safe and speedy recovery.

11. peterjohnjoseph - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

My biggest fear is a collapsed lung. The way he was breathing and shaking as he was on his hands and knees was scary, like he was doing all he could to get air. I believe the reason he stayed on his hands and knees is because he was afraid if he got on his back he wouldn’t be able to breathe at all. I could be wrong, but that was my initial thought. Anytime someone isn’t moved you know major is going on. I hope I’m wrong anyways.

12. thebadguyswon - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Ha! GOOD! About time the Habs laid out a Beantown jackass. Pahk that in ya cah.

• amityvillefun - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Classy dude you are. Pity Chara can’t knock your sorry a$$ into a stanchion.

And here I was commenting on how cool it was that Montreal applauded him when he got carried off on a stretcher. I guess there is a loser in every crowd.

• hockey412 - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I actually think YOU, personally, should just quit – bit your lip, zip it, whatever. You show your lack of class pretty much daily and chirping in to support Boychuk is just stupid. Boston fans have NEVER shown an OUNCE of compassion for any player hurt from another team and the way they applauded and jeered Habs fans when Chara did that was downright pitiful.

• amityvillefun - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Whatever man. Go choke on your own vomit. I’ve wished Stamkos and Malkin speedy recoveries. Nor did I “applaud” the Chara hit on Maxy Pad.

When you say “Boston fans” and assume we are all the exact same person with the same ethics and belief systems, it clearly shows how myopic your worldview is.

I suggest you go back to school and further your education.

I complimented Montreal for their cheer of Boychuk. And again, I thank every classy fan out there that can understand that a players health is more important than any game.

• hockey412 - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Ok by “Boston fans”, I meant you, specifically. Not some other commenters on here, not some fanatical idiot that only cheers on the home team and has no clue what is good for the sport as a whole, but you.

• pepper2011 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I love how Bruins fans get a bad rap.

as far as I can tell there have been two questionable incidents involving Bruins/Fans in recent history.

Pacioretty and Raymond.

Raymond – if ANYONE saw that play happen and thought right away that his injury would be as severe as it was – I just wouldn’t believe you. It looked harmless. When they showed the replay in MTL last night the fans booed Boycuk because it didn’t look like he should have been hurt as badly as he was. Just like the B’s Fans, the Habs fans cheered Boychuk when they realized the severity. The other difference was how the training staff handled it. They did not seem all that concerned with Raymond – they let him SKATE off.

Pacioretty- I just can’t believe he could or did push him into the stanchion on purpose. Did he interfere? Yes – 100%. Pacioretty beat him and he interfered. The first thing is the speed of the game. Chara and Pacioretty are two the top 50 players in the WORLD. It’s easy to watch and dissect in super slow motion, but it happened in real time. There are just too many factors for that to have happened intentionally (head into stanchion).
        – The rink – they made league wide changes
        – Pacioretty speed, strength and height.
        – Chara initiates contact at least 6 feet prior ro stanchion.
        If Pacioretty was weaker maybe he goes over the boards into the bench or slams on the breaks to avoid the hit altogether. If he puts and arm up and isn’t in mid stride, etc..

Look – I am not saying it wasn’t a bad play, it was. I just don’t think you anyone can say for certain that that was Chara’s intention.

I just don’t see why either? why Pacioretty? at the time he wasn’t the player he is now, and if you think it was for the OT goal shove you are crazy. You would think that at some point in his 16 or so years in the NHL something or somebody else would have gotten to him a bit more than a guy who had 20 career goals at the time and played a relatively hard and clean game. I mean seriously we aren’t talking about Marchand here. The guy is almost 7 feet and 300lbs, he certainly isn’t afraid to confront or go face to face with Pacioretty.

I just think emotions get the best of people. I don’t think anyone is Boston was happy Pacioretty was hurt. At least real hockey fans. There are always idiots, but nobody want to see a guys livelihood and life put in jeopardy. Did Bruins fans feel like the Habs were milking it a bit for suspension reasons, yeah, but that was AFTER he was in the clear. Just like when I saw it in real speed I thought Boychuk may have been playing it up for a Penalty (just like Prust tried later in the game). when information comes out; it gets real. when you saw the reply. What Recchi did and said was to deflect the spotlight from Chara and it worked.

I would also like to point out that if Boychuk was tweeting from a movie theater tonight; I would at understand some backlash.

It’s a fast game with really strong people; bad things are going to happen. If anyone is happy to see a back, head or neck injury I suggest you re-evaluate because I promise you the Pro allegiances are different than the fans. Do you think Bergeon growing up dreamed about hoisting the cup over his head wearing a spoked B? Now, it’s all he thinks about.

• shortsxit34 - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Who let habsman have a second account?

13. thebadguyswon - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Good.

14. steelers88 - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Wow your a jerk. You care more about a stupid hockey game than the health of a human being! That’s sick. Man sucks that your a terrible Human being.

• imawolfman - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

If there were no bad people you wouldn’t appreciate the good people. I, for one, applaud his honesty.

15. steelers88 - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM

The thing is I’m not a Bruins fan and I’m mad that he said that. You have to have compassion for other people and obviously he doesn’t have any.

• amityvillefun - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Steelers88, I take it you are a Penguins fan (and I’ve had my battles with Pens fans on this site in the past) but thanks for taking the high road here.

Hopefully Malkin recovers in time for his game against Boston on Saturday. I tip my Bruins cap to you.

16. slaugin - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Typical Hab Fan

17. greenmtnboy31 - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Boychuck’s being examined by Dr. Recchi

• dropthepuckeh - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM

There you are Habsman, welcome back. You finally pay the electric bill?

18. arbruins - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Great game, bad news about boychuk but, that’s hockey. Some if the Montreal fans that post here are stupid too but, we have all come to expect that too eh?

• bsaures - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Theres idiots in every fan base and as a bruin fan you cant really chirp other fan bases after some of the stuff yours have done the last several years

19. interiorfan - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Yup, my first thought was of Mason Raymond as well. Not wishing any ill will on Boychuck but my, what an ironic situation.

20. northstarnic - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Hard to disagree with haggerty. 2
    min for boarding was right call. Hit was made worse by boychuk turning as he went into the boards. Not dirty. Hope boychuk can get back on the ice soon.

21. thebadguyswon - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM

You’re next Chara.
    #secondplaceBruins

• amityvillefun - Dec 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM

What midget on the Habs can even pose a physical threat to Chara? Please.

There isn’t a guy on the whole team that wouldn’t need a box to stand on just to reach him.

See you next game Habs. Hopefully in the playoffs too.

• thebadguyswon - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM

#firstplace
        #betterthanyou

22. sabatimus - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:05 AM

If you feed the troll, he’ll keep coming back.

23. stretch61 - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Did anyone in Montreal call 911 to have Pacioretty arrested? Oh wait that only happens when a Montreal player gets hurt!

24. titansbro - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Notice how no one in Boston is calling for a police investigation?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches