Dec 6, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
On Friday, Boston head coach Claude Julien updated the health of defenseman Johnny Boychuk, who was stretchered off the ice following a hit from Max Pacioretty in a 2-1 loss to Montreal on Thursday night.
Boychuk suffered a lower back injury on the play, Julien said, and will undergo an MRI today. While he’s yet to be officially ruled out of action, it seems unlikely Boychuk will be ready to go when the Bruins host the Penguins on Saturday at TD Garden.
Boychuk, 29, has one goal and six points through 27 games this year and is on pace to set a career-high in assists. He’s averaging 20:19 TOI per game and has emerged as one of the club’s most important blueliners on the penalty kill, ranking second on the team in shorthanded minutes.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)