Nov 28, 2013, 1:08 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues beat their Central Division rivals, the Colorado Avalanche, on Wednesday. Alex Steen tied Alex Ovechkin for the league lead in goals with 20, in the Blues 4-1 victory over Colorado.
But that was all quickly forgotten about following the post-game comments of Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, and then the retort of Blues bench boss Ken Hitchcock.
“You know what, I was very mad at the end because I have been jabbed by different coaches around the league, especially Hitchcock when he said that was junior stuff, talking to players, talking to the referees,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“But I saw a guy on the other side who was talking to players and then was also talking to the referee and got the referee (mad).
“Seems to me that there’s different rules for everybody in this league. I guess the old guys are allowed to do whatever they want and I guess us, because we are younger, we are not allowed to say anything. I am a little (mad) about that.”
Hitchcock, with 623 wins as a coach in the NHL, offered quite a response. He wasn’t happy.
“Oh, give me a break. Tell Patrick to shut the (expletive) up,” said Hitchcock.
Just. Like. That. But this isn’t Roy’s first run-in with another NHL coach.
In fact, in the season opener, Roy’s first game as a head coach in this league, got into an altercation with Bruce Boudreau of the Anaheim Ducks in between the benches.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)