Nov 28, 2013, 1:08 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues beat their Central Division rivals, the Colorado Avalanche, on Wednesday. Alex Steen tied Alex Ovechkin for the league lead in goals with 20, in the Blues 4-1 victory over Colorado.
But that was all quickly forgotten about following the post-game comments of Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, and then the retort of Blues bench boss Ken Hitchcock.
“You know what, I was very mad at the end because I have been jabbed by different coaches around the league, especially Hitchcock when he said that was junior stuff, talking to players, talking to the referees,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“But I saw a guy on the other side who was talking to players and then was also talking to the referee and got the referee (mad).
“Seems to me that there’s different rules for everybody in this league. I guess the old guys are allowed to do whatever they want and I guess us, because we are younger, we are not allowed to say anything. I am a little (mad) about that.”
Hitchcock, with 623 wins as a coach in the NHL, offered quite a response. He wasn’t happy.
“Oh, give me a break. Tell Patrick to shut the (expletive) up,” said Hitchcock.
Just. Like. That. But this isn’t Roy’s first run-in with another NHL coach.
In fact, in the season opener, Roy’s first game as a head coach in this league, got into an altercation with Bruce Boudreau of the Anaheim Ducks in between the benches.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)