Nov 28, 2013, 1:08 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues beat their Central Division rivals, the Colorado Avalanche, on Wednesday. Alex Steen tied Alex Ovechkin for the league lead in goals with 20, in the Blues 4-1 victory over Colorado.
But that was all quickly forgotten about following the post-game comments of Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, and then the retort of Blues bench boss Ken Hitchcock.
“You know what, I was very mad at the end because I have been jabbed by different coaches around the league, especially Hitchcock when he said that was junior stuff, talking to players, talking to the referees,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“But I saw a guy on the other side who was talking to players and then was also talking to the referee and got the referee (mad).
“Seems to me that there’s different rules for everybody in this league. I guess the old guys are allowed to do whatever they want and I guess us, because we are younger, we are not allowed to say anything. I am a little (mad) about that.”
Hitchcock, with 623 wins as a coach in the NHL, offered quite a response. He wasn’t happy.
“Oh, give me a break. Tell Patrick to shut the (expletive) up,” said Hitchcock.
Just. Like. That. But this isn’t Roy’s first run-in with another NHL coach.
In fact, in the season opener, Roy’s first game as a head coach in this league, got into an altercation with Bruce Boudreau of the Anaheim Ducks in between the benches.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 19
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)