Report: Flyers talking to Oilers about Eberle

Nov 8, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT

A tweet from CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio:

Eberle, of course, would be Jordan Eberle, the 23-year-old winger who had 34 goals for Edmonton in 2011-12 and is signed through 2018-19 with a cap hit of $6,000,000.

Why would the Oilers be willing to trade a kid like that? Well, lots of reasons. First, nothing’s free and Edmonton needs lots of stuff. Like, say, a young forward that’s been praised in the past for his defensive play? Sean Couturier would fit that description. Or how about a big defensive defenseman who can log over 20 minutes a game? Braydon Coburn would fit that description.

The Oilers may also secretly think Eberle’s 34-goal season is unlikely to be replicated, given his shooting percentage was 18.9 that season. (For more on that, click here. It’s been a rather popular topic with Oilers bloggers.)

Yes, trading Eberle would be a bold move for general manager Craig MacTavish. But remember, that’s exactly what the “man of action” promised in April — he was going to do “bold things.”

PS — Flyers owner Ed Snider didn’t sound too impressed with the Flyers’ 3-0 loss to the Devils last night.

Related: Let’s talk about that Luke Schenn trade

1. Meta - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I would love this. Eberle is a really good all-around player

• themagicman1223 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

All around player? Don’t get me wrong, Eberle is a terrific offensive player. But all-around player doesn’t fit him, he isn’t very good defensively and is pretty soft along the boards.

• Meta - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

My bad then. I can see him being a weak board-play guy but i always thought he could hold his own on defense. even so, getting him would help the offense…i hope.

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Oh for gods sake.. no one in Philly needs defensive play..we are obviously about putting the puck in the net at the cost of goalies getting shamelessly pelted with 2-1, 3-1 and 5-1, because we love fighting, tripping, spearing, charging, melting-with-laser-eyes, 2 handed smashing with sticks, pretty-much-anything-that-looks-like-I-wanna-play-for-the-big-club.

So..umm..other than that..

Good thing Im in Tampa.. so i can go WATCH my secondary team.. keeps me off the 82nd ledges of highrises.

2. jkaplan11 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM

….ya…. not happening

• edwelsh8 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for the expert analysis

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

God man.. this is PHT.. the site for mentally weak fans.. no one expects tough analysis..

Look at Canadian sites.. and Im a Floridian.. think who i feel..

although there are some seriously old NYC, BOS, DET, and Philly fans down here that will break your nose for talking smack about their team..

Think…when conviction mattered..

just saying.. know who you are talking shat to in the nosebleeds.. or you will..

3. jkay1818 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

flyers don’t have the pieces to make this deal. They still wouldn’t have any scoring wingers. Eberle is a good player and if he is moved to the flyers, the guys they would have to give up would still leave the flyers as a bad team.

• Meta - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I sorta agree but i could see them sending someone like couturier because hes more of a defensive-minded forward and Edmonton needs a lot of defensive help and especially on the PK (they’re 25th in the league right now)

• hockey412 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

But doesn’t it seem like that kind of talent (PK/defensive forwards) can normally be found on the free agent market (not currently, but say come July) whereas talent like Eberle is much harder to land…plus they have this kid locked up long term. Why would they do this.

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Oh no.. there is a huge plethora of skilled D-minded forwards on the market.. really.

Truly, and that could be argued for Coots (dont trade him as a skilled coach would make him killer) is a dime-a-dozen.. no seriously,, most players like him are ranked 8.. habitually.. so that guy that you would suggest trading.. or whatever.. yea.. no.. Coots.. he’s a dimer dude.. trade him and B. Schenn.. for.. you know whatever.. spare parts..

Better yet..

Homey(Holmgren) calls..umm whoever GM: “Hey we have this guy, thought he was good, but, not so much.. you have some zamboni scrapings, 2 bags of pucks, or tamdem of enforcer/grit/energy/garbage players that you need traded”.. “What”.. “No Seriously, i have to trade him, mostly because Philly fans are impatient..and most uneducated and now.. they wouldn’t know a skilled play if he iced a…FUKIN puck off their front door”..

NO… WE DON”T TRADE QUALITY FUTURES FOR HAS BEEN PASTS!!!!! ie.. see current roster..

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM

yeah, I’m curious as to who the Flyers have to offer in this. Through all the NTCs, old players, horrible players, overpaid players, etc., the only guy I can think of is Matt Read or Voracek. I wouldn’t put it past Homer to trade either of them, but if he does, he can prepare to have another PHT piece written about how he muffed a trade.

Here’s hoping it’s Emery.

• Meta - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Sadly, there are a few players on this team fall under all of the categories you listed above.

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

lol sadly indeed.

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

As most see you as a Philly diehard.. I got your back man.. seems others have dissipated withe the win column.

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I agree that the Flyers (in their current state) don’t have what you people (yep, other then educated fans) would call talented players.

Yeah..because J. Vorachek never ever shown himself as a prolific scorer. (but…but… he hasn’t been awesome this year.. really… cause isn’t a team sport..pout…wheeze…)

No.. lets call the Flyer’s victims of voracious expansion and we can call it an evening..

Dreamland is easy.. Psychology.. its a mtherfker..

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

No your right the Oilers couldn’t use any grittiness that W. Simmonds provides.. 1 for 1..eh..but to say that their is nothing.. shows that your clown makeup needs rechalked.. repuffed.. reblotted.. whatever you do..!!!

• biasedhomer - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Too many casual fans commenting on these stories.

• Meta - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

what does that even mean?

4. pitpenguinsrulez - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Somehow Holmgren will probably screw up this trade…so there’s a 50/50 chance.

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Gotta becareful with my comments.. as you guys are known to mob on a Philly topic..

don’t want to get voted off the island..

as i am tired of working out my frustration on here.. and choose to trade all of your precious gems in “easy mode” of NHL 14… makes it all so worth it.. yep.. 1975..bratches.. 1975.. …

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

That really was an ambiguous comment that most in the Pitts system of education would have been confounded by.

No worries man, I embrace those challenged by new topics..

“Philly might get better”

****EEEEEUuuuuuuu.. swinging torch here and there..AAAAAAhhh.. “never”… “Phreeely could neavooor gggeettte better”

Studied a little bit of Anthology
        .. it can happen..

as the neanderthals of 2000 from the northern PA area (commonly known as Pittsburgh) has shown that a primate with the ability to speak can come from such..harsh and unadulterated area could figure the code to knock rocks together and be a part of the “Morse Code’. These advanced primates have the ability to move a solid piece of rubber with such proficiency that they accrue acclaim from a northern providence with intellectual superiority.

No Seriously…

Congrats to you Pittsburger’s.. I mean my god seriously..

You guys have bypassed such hardship to attain hockey superiority.

Seriously, having to dwell in your superiority from

1991-91.. i mean how can any deny your superiority…

I mean the ‘Lanche who are obviously superior in skill….

and the Pens.. are are superior “in some new deficit league”

Its all the same people..

welll..

I mean.. whatever.. I am the only one in a league of 1 that talks hockey..so i dont have a counterpoint…..(although I think my 30 years or hockey voyeurism..to be sufficient) and well.. its me in Tampa.. talking to myself (hell I could make Philly uber in my mind) but.. that shiat isn’t the truth..as small children could see we need more beer…what?… no.. we need more discipline.

5. edwelsh8 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

While it is tiring to hear the Flyers connected to every free agent/player on the market, this is one instance where it would be a good thing for the Flyers. Adding a young, talented player that still hasn’t hit his peak is exactly the type of player this team needs. However, I don’t see any reason Edmonton would want to move him. The Flyers don’t have a single defenseman that would be considered equitable value for a player like Eberle.

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Every consider a Dman may work in a bad system.. or is underplayed/underutilized based on that teams system.. no? Eh, why would you.. every Philly Dman.. although portrayed be EAS hockey “gurus’ were 85+ (Timmo, Pronger(Y the hell he still shows up), Mesz (really), some 83’s (Schenn, Streit)

Has anyone noticed that you couldnt make this trade if you tried

Timmo
      1st (2015) for Anyone… on any team…
      1st (2016)

Streit
      1st (2015) 7th round 2014..or..umm..anyone..
      1st (2016)
      1st (2017)
      1st (2018)

Might just be a sign of bad GM’n.

Im outta beer.. someone run to the store for me..

6. steelpenbucs87 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

They would have to give up folks from the current roster to make it work from a cap perspective and a value perspective. Also they would have to give up at least one (if not multiple) first rounders to make the deal without gutting their team completely.

Coutorier, Coburn and a first rounder? I have no idea how they make this work, but it’ll be interesting to see some of the conjecture.

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Not sure about Coburn. The Calgary kid would have to waive his NTC to go to EDM, I don’t see it happening.

• Meta - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Couturier, Mez & a draft pick?

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

lol you’re assuming that the Flyers win a trade every now and then.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I don’t believe Edmonton is on his list of 10, and if it is I believe he’d consider going there. Funny enough Calgary is on his list of 10 and have been since they hired Hartley, and from what I’ve heard he wouldn’t even consider Calgary as long as Hartley is the coach.

• biasedhomer - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Why would he not want to go to EDM? He is a not a kid, he is a grown man. Just cause a fan base doesn’t like another fan base, a player wont go to that other city?

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

hey, sometimes.

7. ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

NTC/NMCs, if anybody was curious and didn’t wanna look it up.
    Hartnell, Simmonds, Lecav, Timonen, Coburn, LSchenn, Grossmann.

• newjerseydevilsfanpuckcollection - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I think some would waive the NMC and NTC….Edmonton has some future stars on their team, where as Philly has no chemistry.

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I agree. I was just stating it for the record. But I don’t see any of those 3 offensemen waiving. They’re getting top 6 time where they’re at. Only one that might in EDM is Lecav, and I really don’t think the Flyers are looking to trade him. I’ve been wrong before on Flyers trades though.

8. thedavesiknowiknow - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Hahahahahahahaha. Hahahahahahahaha. What?!

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Your one of those smart fellas that has something (regardless of intellectual content) to add aren’t you..

Go Pens!!!.. or some shiat

• thedavesiknowiknow - Nov 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I would say I’m smart enough to be more qualified to make personnel decisions than Holmgren, and Snider combined- but I’m not exactly boasting, as I genuinely believe there are fish that could say the same. Anyhow, I’m psyched for you dude: what could possibly go wrong with ignoring fundamental flaws for the sake of appeasing fans and the media……again.

9. sjsharks66 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I really don’t think this will help the Flyers. Plus, who do they even have to give up in this trade?

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I don’t understand how you say that (the first part) before even knowing who they’d be giving up.

• claudegirwho - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Because the flyers need another player to trade for with a big contract and shoulder issues that is undersized and could possibly have a short career

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM

so don’t all those things bring his trade value down? If the Flyers know the same thing you do, and the Oilers know it as well, the Flyers could come away with a steal…….. or another LTIR, who knows? I just don’t understand analyzing who’s losing in a trade we only know* half of.

*This IS a story based on something Panaccio said, so we’re likely talking about nothing

10. newjerseydevilsfanpuckcollection - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I presume there would have be a pretty big return for Eberle. He’s young and has not even hit his peak as of yet.

Edmonton has some cap room, however I don’t think it would be wise to eat someones contract unless of course there is a first rounder involved. (and the way it looks Philly might have a good shot at the #1).

I see Couturier (who is not being used it his full potential) and a good D….I will even call out Streit as a piece plus a 1st…for Eberle and a 2nd.

• biasedhomer - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I feel like EDM would rather have Coburn and his lower contract, than Streit.

• newjerseydevilsfanpuckcollection - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I thought that as well when typing up the comment, however, I think they need more vet presence in the room than not.

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

We.. (in Philly, mind you)

prefer not to use our brains.. or even the internet (with its massive amount of info. or intellectual ability) when contemplating trades..

We prefer the..

Mungo break = 500 Pims=1st rnd = 8 Stanley Cups..

Than you (“fckin bahsards don’t know our heritage.. so how in the fck could you contemplate our future) don’t understand the Flyers ideas/heritage/history/other-fckin-mentality-that wont make my tatttoo go away.

So.. FU and trade quality talent for some 4 line forward so that we can sign some has been 1st rounder to 1st rounder money.

Never happen… but it might..

Philly fans Faqu.. accept our dethnell.. its here.. its now.. get on it..

And in the future.. you slopeheads can claim awesomeissity

• newjerseydevilsfanpuckcollection - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Yep….

That pretty much sounds like a comment Holmgren would make.

Must be a Philly thing????

11. sjsblitz - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Does Philly not have ANYONE in the minors worth a look. Trades clearly arent working and are only pushing cap like always

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Cousins is our only offensive AHL option really… and he seems to be a Holmgren project, so I doubt they give him up. Although I could see Gustafsson involved.

• philafly - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM

You also have Laughton in Juniors but I don’t want to see him moved anywhere. 14 goals and 14 assists in 14 games so far.

• biasedhomer - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM

They don’t really have wingers, but they have centers. Plus you have the center logjam with the NHL club, forcing Schenn to be put on the wing.

• flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Laughton and McGinn..

But we refuse to bring them up.. because you.. ‘Educated fans’ think you can do better..

and yes we all know we could.. we just pretend to be along for the ride.. prior to the waterfall (think Land of the lost, original)

12. 2qswing - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

uh paging Jarmo K (Jackets GM) and JD. the Oilers are talking about trading Eberle? You know the RW who scored 34 goals a couple years ago and is only23. Lets see what does Edmonton need?
    Wake up Jarmo you have a lot more defensive depth in your organization than Philidelphia. And you have an entire team of grinders they would love. You sat on your hands and Vanek got traded.
    Your team cant score goals. Pick up the friggn’ phone
    Signed: PO’d ticket holder

13. stepanup - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Both of these teams have the same issue. Too many skill forwards who are playing individually, with suspect goaltending and soft defense. Generally trades between two teams that have the same problem don’t make sense.

• blackandorangeforlife - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I dont think you could call Mason “Suspect” at this point!

14. goodolejr - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

At this point, aside from G, I don’t care who they trade. I imagine Coots is going to be a part of any trade talks for a player like Eberle and, honestly, I think I’m okay with that. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Coots and either of the Schenns, or even Coburn as part of a package. Oilers NEED defense, whether from an actual defenseman or a defensive minded forward (Coots) and they have enough offensive firepower to trade a piece or 2.

This rumor both excites and scares the hell out of me.

15. ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

man…. I sure wish we had gotten Bobby Ryan.

16. broadstreetsbaddest88 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I’d like to see this happen. I’ve always been a fan. It’s gonna include couts or schenn and I know they have potential and the second they leave they tear it up on another team cause we weren’t patient kinda like patrick Sharp. We gotta get rid of D. I love hartnell but if he don’t get it goin then I’d like to see him and mez. We gotta make space to play Gill full time cause he’s been great so far. It’s gonna be interesting what its gonna take if it does happen

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I don’t get some of their defensive choices this season. Mesz over LSchenn? Gus over Gill? doesn’t make any sense.

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I have to agree. Loved the way Gill has looked. Mez is starting to get better but I’d take schenn over him. Gus is gonna be good. He’s showed flashes of what he can be and he’s great moving the puck at times. Hes gotta work on his own zone more and them turnovers but he’s young enough and I think has the potential to have a bright future.

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Remember Gus in the beginning of last year? I HATED him. but as quickly as I learned to hate him, he redeemed himself. I like his future, but right now, Gill is playing better than I’ve seen him in a years. wonder if they’d consider Gill/Gus on a line.

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

in years*

17. vbcaps - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

What about mike Richards or Jeff carter, they’ve won a cup?

Oh wait …

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I think I’d take Eberle for either of those players, then OR now.

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

hey, you from VB, VA?

• sizzle299 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

You mean the Jeff Carter who missed a wide open net in game 6 of the SCF vs the Hawks? Jeff “no contact” Carter? Jeff “high and wide” Carter?

Oh wait….

• President Charles Logan - Nov 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Michael Leighton lost you that series , get over it.

18. eagles512 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Look in the motor Snider. Just like with Clarke, your refusal to blame the GM is killing them.

19. eagles512 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Mirror-sorry

20. muckleflugga - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

like gagner, too small, too lazy…

both could be spectacular in a system where work rate is paramount

like detroit, but not apparent in the city of brotherly love in the past month or so, talk about a ship without a rudder?

their lack of size becomes irrelevant were they fitted into a speed offense and harrying defense ruled over by a gentle tyrant like babcock or a less gentle and unsmiling bowman…can’t hit what you can’t catch, can’t loaf with buses in the A parked around the corner

the oilers are knee deep in skill, finesse, and laissez-faire coaching too afraid to slap some sense into their self-important prima dons, all basking in the diminishing glow of impressive junior careers

were eberle able to escape edmonton’s sizzling night life and brutal winters, he’d need the kind of coaching that would light a fire dangerously close to fizzling out

ain’t gonna see that kind of coaching in philadelphia as it stands in the present

21. flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Faq..seems the online version is so much better then the tab version..

Anywho..

So… the Flyers would have to trade..Coots, B. Schenn, L. Schenn, Read, Vorachek and 2014 1st Rnd (which may be ((insh’allah)) may be Eklund..

Yep..after looking at the haul.. Philly would do it..

I on the other hand.. being a savvy EA NHL trader.. would get him for Timmo and Rosehill, plus 2015 and 2016 1st Rounders)

Just saying..

Never gonna happen..unless we get scalped (aka. ‘THe Philly Norm’)

22. flyersfan85 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Oh.. last thing.. maybe.. just maybe.. Snider has a chip put into everyone of his players..esp for allowing MacT to remain the last player to don a helmet.

NOW.. he pushes a button (it could happen) in his office which allows MacT to be manipulated by the Flyers Uber(not really) owner.. and the trade happens for..

Laughton, 2 bags of quality practice pucks, and a guarantee that when Edmonton fires him that he becomes a Flyer “chogie boy” (itsa military thing).

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

man, you really remind me of blomfeld (don’t worry, I enjoy blom’s comments more than some others on this site), minus the smiley faces and Elvis videos.

say, where’s that guy been?

23. jimw81 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM

smokescreen. something big is in the works. flyers dont leak stuff to uninformed beat writers.

• blackandorangeforlife - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Modern day reporting does not require facts…..Sensationalism and Hate sell way more then facts ever will!

24. malvaren18 - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Trade Hall and Hemsky, not Eberle

25. channelguy - Nov 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The problem with this rumour is that even IF Eberle is on the market — which I doubt — there are at least 10 teams that have better assets to trade which meet the Oilers’ needs. Edmonton needs a PROVEN skilled, shutdown defenseman, and a premier goalie. And I suspect they would also want whoever they get to come from a franchise that has been successful lately, since a winning attitude is one of the things this Oilers team lacks.

26. crazemastercraze - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Typical Flyers. Don’t bother trying to stop the goals from going in, let’s add another scoring forward. Let the collision course with hilarity continue

• hockeygod2893 - Nov 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

You’re right. It’s not like the Flyers could use a scoring winger since they are so potent on offense with 1.47 goals per game.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches