Luke Schenn expected to return from healthy scratching…as JVR tears it up in T.O.

Nov 8, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

A tweet from Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer:

Schenn has been a healthy scratch the past three games; his last action came against the Washington Capitals in that infamous 7-0 game

“I don’t like being in this situation,” Schenn said recently. “But at the same time, I am not losing any confidence because of it. I’m not that concerned. Well, concerned is the wrong word, I guess. I was always taught that you worry about the things you can control. I don’t choose who is playing. I will continue to work hard and make the most of it and get better.”

Schenn’s optimism aside, it’s safe to say at this point the Maple Leafs have been the big winners of the trade that sent the fifth overall pick in the 2008 draft to the Flyers for James van Riemsdyk, who just so happens to have seven goals and six assists in 13 games for Toronto this season.

Schenn, meanwhile, has averaged just 15:36 of time on ice for the Flyers. The 24-year-old is also signed through 2015-16 with a cap hit of $3.6 million, a contract that would be very tough for general manager Paul Holmgren to move, if he were to even try.

More likely, Holmgren will wait and hope Schenn can rediscover the form that once had Maple Leafs fans (as well as Toronto’s former boss, Brian Burke, who called Schenn a future captain of the Leafs) excited for the future.

Holmgren certainly needs to be held accountable for the move though. Schenn was coming off a very tough season when the Flyers acquired him in June of 2012. And Philadelphia’s titanic offensive struggles this season make van Riemsdyk’s goal-scoring in Toronto that much harder to accept for Philly fans.

1. girouxed - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Flyers suck. lol

2. WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Looking back I think it was a good trade in theory. On paper Flyers had enough scoring with the previous season Giroux, Simmonds, Vorachek, Hartnell and others. The problem was Goalie and Defense so I can’t kill the Flyers for the trade.

• ematusko - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I sorta agree, but I think they could have held out and gotten a little more for JVR. Maybe not a high draft pick, but something serviceable.

• Jason Brough - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Get what you’re saying, but you might kill them if you had watched Schenn closely in Toronto. Not a great skater. Doesn’t move the puck that well. Tendency to make really bad turnovers. Burke fleeced Holmgren IMO.

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I always wondered if part of the trade was the Flyers banking on Schenn calming his game down with his brother on the team. Feeling comfortable can turn a players game around, and it didn’t immediately, but from the looks of LSchenn this year, I think it’s starting to (I made my feelings on Schenn’s performance this year clear below). He’s improving. He’s not great, but he’s getting better as far as I see it.

• Meta - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Luke Schenn just isnt very good but at the same time JVR just wasnt working out at the time. They needed defense and had the scoring already, as the previous comments stated above. I just dont think JVR was doing enough for the team at the time.

3. pitpenguinsrulez - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

You can thank Holmgren for this one

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Oh really? I’m glad you cleared that up for us dumbass

• hockey412 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Holy crap that was funny… :)

4. ematusko - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Sweet trade huh? Sure Homlgrem is terribly inept, but this all starts at the top. Ed Snider (Al Davis of the NHL) is the reason this team is completely heartless, without an identity, and bereft of talent in the farm system. Until he steps down, sells the team or croaks we’re screwed. It’s really a shame. Say what you want about Philly fans, but they definitely deserve better.

5. ntvd7 - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

“Philly source openly wondered whether Luke Schenn can even play anymore”

That’s one hell of a statement right there

If I were him I’d get into the lineup and beat the living s**t out of the first person near me

• wm87 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

How very Flyers of you. I don’t actually watch alot of Flyers games, but, according to most people’s opinions on this article, Schenn may want to focus on better decision making and limiting turnovers- I don’t think anyone is questioning the Flyers’ toughness.

6. flyeredup - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM

We stink

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

What is worse is that we stink in a year where there are no stars coming out in the draft!

7. ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I don’t think Schenn should have ever been scratched to begin with. He had a horrible season last year, but like almost the entire rest of the defense, he’s played decently this year. Meszaros is out there kicking pucks in our own net (I’d go harder on him about that except that it was the 2nd goal in a shutout, so w/e) while Schenn’s been playing well. I mean, the only thing that was stated negatively about him in the article is his ice time. TOR won the trade, but in the situation it was made in, both teams benefited in some way.

• President Charles Logan - Nov 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Did tou just actually say that Luke Schenn has played decently this year?…. wow no wonder even your own fellow flyers posters on this board laugh at your drivel

• President Charles Logan - Nov 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

sorry for the typo , i meant to say you not tou. but the way you perceive things, it’s clear that my typo doesnt matter and wont help your hockey knowledge as it is

8. eagles512 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Someone needs to get those pictures of Snider that Holmgren has.

9. nj666 - Nov 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

additional comment on how holmgren made another mistake…

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

meanwhile, all the Lamorillo (sp) moves that I thought were absolutely genius aren’t paying off. I thought Brunner was gonna jump right in and thrive there. I’d still rather my GM be making good moves that don’t pay off than bad moves that don’t pay off.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D