Nov 8, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
A tweet from Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer:
Schenn has been a healthy scratch the past three games; his last action came against the Washington Capitals in that infamous 7-0 game
“I don’t like being in this situation,” Schenn said recently. “But at the same time, I am not losing any confidence because of it. I’m not that concerned. Well, concerned is the wrong word, I guess. I was always taught that you worry about the things you can control. I don’t choose who is playing. I will continue to work hard and make the most of it and get better.”
Schenn’s optimism aside, it’s safe to say at this point the Maple Leafs have been the big winners of the trade that sent the fifth overall pick in the 2008 draft to the Flyers for James van Riemsdyk, who just so happens to have seven goals and six assists in 13 games for Toronto this season.
Schenn, meanwhile, has averaged just 15:36 of time on ice for the Flyers. The 24-year-old is also signed through 2015-16 with a cap hit of $3.6 million, a contract that would be very tough for general manager Paul Holmgren to move, if he were to even try.
More likely, Holmgren will wait and hope Schenn can rediscover the form that once had Maple Leafs fans (as well as Toronto’s former boss, Brian Burke, who called Schenn a future captain of the Leafs) excited for the future.
Holmgren certainly needs to be held accountable for the move though. Schenn was coming off a very tough season when the Flyers acquired him in June of 2012. And Philadelphia’s titanic offensive struggles this season make van Riemsdyk’s goal-scoring in Toronto that much harder to accept for Philly fans.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)