Nov 8, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
A tweet from Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer:
Schenn has been a healthy scratch the past three games; his last action came against the Washington Capitals in that infamous 7-0 game
“I don’t like being in this situation,” Schenn said recently. “But at the same time, I am not losing any confidence because of it. I’m not that concerned. Well, concerned is the wrong word, I guess. I was always taught that you worry about the things you can control. I don’t choose who is playing. I will continue to work hard and make the most of it and get better.”
Schenn’s optimism aside, it’s safe to say at this point the Maple Leafs have been the big winners of the trade that sent the fifth overall pick in the 2008 draft to the Flyers for James van Riemsdyk, who just so happens to have seven goals and six assists in 13 games for Toronto this season.
Schenn, meanwhile, has averaged just 15:36 of time on ice for the Flyers. The 24-year-old is also signed through 2015-16 with a cap hit of $3.6 million, a contract that would be very tough for general manager Paul Holmgren to move, if he were to even try.
More likely, Holmgren will wait and hope Schenn can rediscover the form that once had Maple Leafs fans (as well as Toronto’s former boss, Brian Burke, who called Schenn a future captain of the Leafs) excited for the future.
Holmgren certainly needs to be held accountable for the move though. Schenn was coming off a very tough season when the Flyers acquired him in June of 2012. And Philadelphia’s titanic offensive struggles this season make van Riemsdyk’s goal-scoring in Toronto that much harder to accept for Philly fans.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)