Apr 15, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe called his new general manager, Craig MacTavish, a “man of action” at today’s press conference announcing the “significant changes” in Edmonton.
MacTavish then called himself an “impatient guy” prepared to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion.”
Translation: this summer in Edmonton could be a big one.
“The fact of the matter is, we are not where we want to be right now, nor where we should be,” said Lowe.
Lowe, at times getting defensive with reporters, said he relieved former general manager Steve Tambellini of his duties yesterday.
The Oilers also promoted former Columbus GM Scott Howson to senior vice president of hockey operations.
What kind of “bold things” MacTavish attempts will be the subject of much speculation. He said today that the club is in a position to “expose ourselves to some semblance of risk,” but when pressed for specifics, he was hesitant to say much more.
“We would part with those assets very begrudgingly,” said MacTavish.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)