Nov 6, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
Yeah, that’s part of the reason Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins had to have a chat with his young player today at practice.
“All these reports in the media about him being traded are absolutely 100% not true,” said Eakins, per the club’s Twitter account.
“He’s a young player and we’re not giving up on him.”
Yakupov, 20, only has one goal in 14 games this season. But it’s not just his early-season struggles that have caused the speculation surrounding the 2012 first overall pick. The Oilers (4-10-2) were supposed to make a push for the playoffs, and that seems like a pipe dream now.
There’s also the fact general manager Craig MacTavish promised to do “bold things” when he was hired last spring. Certainly, trading Yakupov would be bold. Problem is, it may also be really dumb.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)