Nov 6, 2013, 2:23 PM EST
Yeah, that’s part of the reason Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins had to have a chat with his young player today at practice.
“All these reports in the media about him being traded are absolutely 100% not true,” said Eakins, per the club’s Twitter account.
“He’s a young player and we’re not giving up on him.”
Yakupov, 20, only has one goal in 14 games this season. But it’s not just his early-season struggles that have caused the speculation surrounding the 2012 first overall pick. The Oilers (4-10-2) were supposed to make a push for the playoffs, and that seems like a pipe dream now.
There’s also the fact general manager Craig MacTavish promised to do “bold things” when he was hired last spring. Certainly, trading Yakupov would be bold. Problem is, it may also be really dumb.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 20
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 57
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)