Nov 5, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have had a lot of trouble scoring goals this season. They also don’t have Marian Gaborik anymore. And Rick Nash‘s concussion issues have to be a concern going forward. So in theory, their pursuit of Edmonton youngster Nail Yakupov, the first overall pick in the 2012 NHL draft, makes sense.
Not that they’re definitely doing that; we’re simply referring to a story by Larry Brooks in the New York Post:
The Oilers dispatched a scouting expedition featuring their president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe, general manager Craig MacTavish and special adviser Mark Messier to the Garden on Monday for the Rangers’ 2-1 defeat to the Ducks.
Edmonton, which has opened 3-10-2 under first-year coach Dallas Eakins, is believed to be accepting offers for veteran winger Ales Hemsky while also exploring the market for second-year winger Nail Yakupov, the first overall selection in the 2012 Entry Draft.
MacTavish is reportedly working hard to add a defenseman, and certainly the Rangers have a few of those. Would Sather be willing to part with, say, 23-year-old Michael Del Zotto? Just asking the question. Don’t know the answer.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)