Oct 21, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Pittsburgh Penguins host the Colorado Avalanche at CONSOL Energy Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
If fans in Nova Scotia seem to be a bit more interested in Monday night’s game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Colorado Avalanche, there’s good reason. A pair of Cole Harbour’s favorite sons will face each other for the first time in the NHL.
One you already know all about in Penguins captain Sidney Crosby. He leads the NHL in points, he’s tied with four others for the league lead in goals. He’s an all-world talent and perhaps the best player in the game today. Like you needed to be told all that already.
The other is Avalanche rookie Nathan MacKinnon. As a kid growing up in Cole Harbour, Crosby was his role model and now he’s one of a handful of Avs centers helping lead the team to a surprising 7-1-0 start. His seven points to start the year is strong, tying him for second on the team with P.A. Parenteau.
Of course, Crosby’s Penguins are also 7-1-0 which makes Monday night’s game all the more interesting.
Pittsburgh’s only loss came on the road against Florida with backup Jeff Zatkoff in goal. Colorado’s lone defeat came at home against the veteran Detroit Red Wings, a loss that was overshadowed by Cody McLeod‘s hit on Niklas Kronwall.
Editor’s Note: ProHockeyTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $1,500 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Monday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $400. Starts at 7:30pm ET. Here’s the link.
In Colorado, the play of Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly has had coach Patrick Roy gushing over them. It’s been a team effort for the Avalanche, however, as they have nine players with five points or more and play a speed game that puts pressure on opponents to make decisions quickly.
For the Penguins, they might feel like they’re looking in the mirror if the Avalanche offense gets rolling.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5