Oct 17, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall was stretchered off the ice in the first period of Thursday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche, while forward Cody McLeod could be looking at supplementary discipline from the league.
The incident occurred along the end boards, as Kronwall went to pivot with the puck and McLeod coming on the forecheck.
McLeod drove Kronwall from behind into the boards, and was given a major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct.
Kronwall lay motionless on the ice and was taken off on a stretcher, as per Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
The Red Wings got immediate retribution on the scoreboard, as Johan Franzen scored late in the power play.
Updated: The Red Wings announced via Twitter that Kronwall has a concussion and cuts to the ear but is moving all his extremities and is receiving treatment.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)