Oct 11, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Jeff Zatkoff’s National Hockey League debut didn’t go as he had probably hoped.
Zatkoff, the Pittsburgh Penguins’ back-up goalie, made his first NHL start Friday against the Florida Panthers, but allowed six goals on 30 shots.
The Penguins lost to the previously struggling Panthers by a final score of 6-3.
“…not the way I planned for it to go. I need to make a few more saves in critical times in the game…I have to be better,” Zatkoff said afterward, as per the Penguins’ Twitter account.
The loss is the first of the season for Pittsburgh. Marc-Andre Fleury had been victorious in each of the Penguins’ last three games, posting a 1.00 goals-against average.
However, after three straight starts for Fleury, the Penguins went to Zatkoff for the first of this quick two-game excursion through Florida.
The Penguins are in Tampa Bay to play the Lightning on Saturday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)