Oct 11, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
Jeff Zatkoff’s National Hockey League debut didn’t go as he had probably hoped.
Zatkoff, the Pittsburgh Penguins’ back-up goalie, made his first NHL start Friday against the Florida Panthers, but allowed six goals on 30 shots.
The Penguins lost to the previously struggling Panthers by a final score of 6-3.
“…not the way I planned for it to go. I need to make a few more saves in critical times in the game…I have to be better,” Zatkoff said afterward, as per the Penguins’ Twitter account.
The loss is the first of the season for Pittsburgh. Marc-Andre Fleury had been victorious in each of the Penguins’ last three games, posting a 1.00 goals-against average.
However, after three straight starts for Fleury, the Penguins went to Zatkoff for the first of this quick two-game excursion through Florida.
The Penguins are in Tampa Bay to play the Lightning on Saturday.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)