Oct 11, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Jeff Zatkoff’s National Hockey League debut didn’t go as he had probably hoped.
Zatkoff, the Pittsburgh Penguins’ back-up goalie, made his first NHL start Friday against the Florida Panthers, but allowed six goals on 30 shots.
The Penguins lost to the previously struggling Panthers by a final score of 6-3.
“…not the way I planned for it to go. I need to make a few more saves in critical times in the game…I have to be better,” Zatkoff said afterward, as per the Penguins’ Twitter account.
The loss is the first of the season for Pittsburgh. Marc-Andre Fleury had been victorious in each of the Penguins’ last three games, posting a 1.00 goals-against average.
However, after three straight starts for Fleury, the Penguins went to Zatkoff for the first of this quick two-game excursion through Florida.
The Penguins are in Tampa Bay to play the Lightning on Saturday.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 0
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 3
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)