Oct 11, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Jeff Zatkoff’s National Hockey League debut didn’t go as he had probably hoped.
Zatkoff, the Pittsburgh Penguins’ back-up goalie, made his first NHL start Friday against the Florida Panthers, but allowed six goals on 30 shots.
The Penguins lost to the previously struggling Panthers by a final score of 6-3.
“…not the way I planned for it to go. I need to make a few more saves in critical times in the game…I have to be better,” Zatkoff said afterward, as per the Penguins’ Twitter account.
The loss is the first of the season for Pittsburgh. Marc-Andre Fleury had been victorious in each of the Penguins’ last three games, posting a 1.00 goals-against average.
However, after three straight starts for Fleury, the Penguins went to Zatkoff for the first of this quick two-game excursion through Florida.
The Penguins are in Tampa Bay to play the Lightning on Saturday.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 48
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)