Sep 14, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers missed out on signing Dan Cleary and now they’ve upset Simon Gagne because of it.
“When I heard [Tuesday] that they had given a contract to Dan Cleary, it was like a slap in the face. I’m disappointed. I knew that hockey was a business, but with all the positive discussions we had with the GM Paul Holmgren, I can’t believe I’m not back with them.”
Of course, Cleary won’t be in Philly as he signed a one-year deal with the Detroit Red Wings this week. For what it’s worth, Holmgren says he’s fine with Cleary going to Detroit, but that won’t do much to ease Gagne’s sore feelings.
Gagne finished last season with the Flyers scoring five goals with six assists in Philly to go along with the five assists he had with Los Angeles. The final month of the season saw Gagne hit his stride scoring three goals and five assists during the team’s final 13 games.
While the Flyers don’t have the cap space to spare to make a signing, that didn’t stop their pursuit of Cleary. Now if they wanted to go to Gagne as a Plan B, they may have missed that opportunity.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)