Sep 12, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The Dan Cleary saga is over.
Though to be fair, a whole new one might be starting.
Cleary, who has made waves throughout the past week in both Detroit and Philadelphia, has officially re-signed with the Red Wings, agreeing to a one-year, $1.75 million extension.
The deal was confirmed by Wings GM Ken Holland.
It marks the end of a crazy last few days in which Cleary turned down a professional try out to attend Detroit’s training camp, then accepted a PTO to attend Philly’s training camp — amidst reports that he’d verbally agreed to a three-year, $8.25 million deal with the Flyers as soon as the club became cap compliant.
Well, that didn’t go exactly to plan.
Cleary never reported to Philly’s camp, which came as a shock to the organization and GM Paul Holmgren.
What remains unclear is if the Flyers caught heat for potentially agreeing to a “handshake deal” with Cleary, or if the 34-year-old forward used the Philly situation as leverage to get what he wanted from Detroit.
It should be noted that, on numerous occasions, Cleary stated his desire to remain in Detroit, the place he’s called home for the last eight seasons.
As for the Red Wings, they now have a problem on their hands — 17 forwards under contract with just 14 spots available, and a payroll that exceeds the salary cap ceiling by $2.3 million, according to CapGeek.
“We have to move somebody,” Holland told MLive.com. “Let’s see what goes on the next three weeks. Let’s see where we’re at health-wise and the competitiveness out there.”
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 0
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)