Sep 12, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
The Dan Cleary saga is over.
Though to be fair, a whole new one might be starting.
Cleary, who has made waves throughout the past week in both Detroit and Philadelphia, has officially re-signed with the Red Wings, agreeing to a one-year, $1.75 million extension.
The deal was confirmed by Wings GM Ken Holland.
It marks the end of a crazy last few days in which Cleary turned down a professional try out to attend Detroit’s training camp, then accepted a PTO to attend Philly’s training camp — amidst reports that he’d verbally agreed to a three-year, $8.25 million deal with the Flyers as soon as the club became cap compliant.
Well, that didn’t go exactly to plan.
Cleary never reported to Philly’s camp, which came as a shock to the organization and GM Paul Holmgren.
What remains unclear is if the Flyers caught heat for potentially agreeing to a “handshake deal” with Cleary, or if the 34-year-old forward used the Philly situation as leverage to get what he wanted from Detroit.
It should be noted that, on numerous occasions, Cleary stated his desire to remain in Detroit, the place he’s called home for the last eight seasons.
As for the Red Wings, they now have a problem on their hands — 17 forwards under contract with just 14 spots available, and a payroll that exceeds the salary cap ceiling by $2.3 million, according to CapGeek.
“We have to move somebody,” Holland told MLive.com. “Let’s see what goes on the next three weeks. Let’s see where we’re at health-wise and the competitiveness out there.”
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 13
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 21
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)