Sep 12, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The Dan Cleary saga is over.
Though to be fair, a whole new one might be starting.
Cleary, who has made waves throughout the past week in both Detroit and Philadelphia, has officially re-signed with the Red Wings, agreeing to a one-year, $1.75 million extension.
The deal was confirmed by Wings GM Ken Holland.
It marks the end of a crazy last few days in which Cleary turned down a professional try out to attend Detroit’s training camp, then accepted a PTO to attend Philly’s training camp — amidst reports that he’d verbally agreed to a three-year, $8.25 million deal with the Flyers as soon as the club became cap compliant.
Well, that didn’t go exactly to plan.
Cleary never reported to Philly’s camp, which came as a shock to the organization and GM Paul Holmgren.
What remains unclear is if the Flyers caught heat for potentially agreeing to a “handshake deal” with Cleary, or if the 34-year-old forward used the Philly situation as leverage to get what he wanted from Detroit.
It should be noted that, on numerous occasions, Cleary stated his desire to remain in Detroit, the place he’s called home for the last eight seasons.
As for the Red Wings, they now have a problem on their hands — 17 forwards under contract with just 14 spots available, and a payroll that exceeds the salary cap ceiling by $2.3 million, according to CapGeek.
“We have to move somebody,” Holland told MLive.com. “Let’s see what goes on the next three weeks. Let’s see where we’re at health-wise and the competitiveness out there.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)