Sep 12, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
As recently as Wednesday, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren expected that Cleary would report to Philadelphia’s training camp. That hasn’t happened, according to CSN Philly.
Cleary had reportedly agreed to a three-year, $8.25 million deal, but cap issues prevented it from being made official until October. Consequently, Cleary agreed to attend the Flyers’ training camp on a profession tryout offer, although Holmgren insisted on Tuesday that Cleary hadn’t been guaranteed a contract.
A day later, word got out that Cleary might not participate in the Flyers’ camp after all and there were even reports that he was meeting with the Detroit Red Wings.
What happens next is up in the air. First off, the Red Wings don’t expect Cleary to participate in their camp today, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. However, it looks like Cleary’s preference is to sign with Detroit, based on a CBC report.
Even if that’s the case, joining the Red Wings might not be a simple matter. Detroit is already up against the cap and has 15 forwards signed to one-way contracts. All the same, Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland expects this matter to come to a conclusion in the next day or two, MLive.com’s Ansar Khan reports.
What this doesn’t seem to be though is a matter of the NHL taking issue with Philadelphia’s actions. A CBC league source said that the NHL didn’t have a problem with Cleary joining the Flyers on a tryout basis until they were in a position to sign him to what seemed to be previously agreed upon terms.
Cleary had all summer to negotiate with Red Wings and didn’t get deal done. Signs point to him using #Flyers as leverage. Not cool.
— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) September 12, 2013
According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Cleary is flying to Traverse City and will sign with the Wings tonight.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 3
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 13
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 16
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)