Sep 12, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
As recently as Wednesday, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren expected that Cleary would report to Philadelphia’s training camp. That hasn’t happened, according to CSN Philly.
Cleary had reportedly agreed to a three-year, $8.25 million deal, but cap issues prevented it from being made official until October. Consequently, Cleary agreed to attend the Flyers’ training camp on a profession tryout offer, although Holmgren insisted on Tuesday that Cleary hadn’t been guaranteed a contract.
A day later, word got out that Cleary might not participate in the Flyers’ camp after all and there were even reports that he was meeting with the Detroit Red Wings.
What happens next is up in the air. First off, the Red Wings don’t expect Cleary to participate in their camp today, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. However, it looks like Cleary’s preference is to sign with Detroit, based on a CBC report.
Even if that’s the case, joining the Red Wings might not be a simple matter. Detroit is already up against the cap and has 15 forwards signed to one-way contracts. All the same, Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland expects this matter to come to a conclusion in the next day or two, MLive.com’s Ansar Khan reports.
What this doesn’t seem to be though is a matter of the NHL taking issue with Philadelphia’s actions. A CBC league source said that the NHL didn’t have a problem with Cleary joining the Flyers on a tryout basis until they were in a position to sign him to what seemed to be previously agreed upon terms.
Cleary had all summer to negotiate with Red Wings and didn’t get deal done. Signs point to him using #Flyers as leverage. Not cool.
— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) September 12, 2013
According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Cleary is flying to Traverse City and will sign with the Wings tonight.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)