No hard feelings: Flyers GM doen’t feel used by Cleary

Sep 12, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT

Paul Holmgren AP

Dan Cleary is staying with the Detroit Red Wings, and that’s just fine with Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren.

“Dan was up front right from the get-go,” Holmgren said today, per NHL.com. “My first conversation was he loved Detroit, wanted it to work out there. … One of the things that makes him a good player is he’s a character guy. He had deep roots with the Detroit organization. I can’t fault him for that. I probably think more highly of him now than I did two days ago.”

Besides, there may be a bright side to Philadelphia’s failure to land the veteran forward, says Holmgren.

“We were kind of anxious to look at a few guys in that position anyway,” he said. “I don’t know if you want to call it a silver lining, but it’s really a good thing for us. Mike Raffl, a kid we signed, an Austrian kid who played in Sweden, we like. … [2012 first-round pick] Scott Laughton, who knows? There should be some competition for a couple spots up front.”

CSNPhilly.com has more on the whole Cleary saga (if you can actually handle any more on this story), plus a note on free-agent forward Simon Gagne, who Holmgren essentially rejected as an option for the Flyers.

“We kind of closed that off there a few days ago when we decided to make the commitment to Dan on a tryout,” Holmgren said. “I think right now we’ll probably just stick with who we got.”

1. modellforprez - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Phuck Filly

• ibieiniid - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

solid info there. glad you commented.

• laxman1944 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

So what exactly are you trying to say??

Not a big fan huh???

2. ibieiniid - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM

“Mike Raffl, a kid we signed, an Austrian kid who played in Sweden, we like. … [2012 first-round pick] Scott Laughton, who knows? There should be some competition for a couple spots up front.”

god damnit Homer. why is it that you’re always right about things AFTER the fact, rarely before it. “yeah, we tried to get Cleary for too much money, he declined, but we have young guys that deserve the chance I wasn’t planning on giving them til something else fell through.” unbelievable.

• phillyphanatic77 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM

While I agree the Flyers supposed offer was a gross overpay and there are young guys who can fill the void, I wouldn’t be ready to rely on Raffl just yet. He needs some seasoning with the Phantoms. Afterall, he wasn’t even playing in the top Swedish league. He was essentially in the Swedish AHL which is far below our AHL. Maybe he surprises but that’s a huge jump. And I’d be somewhat weary of promoting Laughton as well. While he can clearly play in this league, how beneficial is it to his development to give him bottom 6 minutes versus top line minutes with Oshawa?

I’m excited to see what Straka can do, but he also needs AHL time.

• ibieiniid - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM

honestly, i was kinda surprised to see Raffl named in that as well. i just meant in general tho. I’d like to see somebody else get a shot instead of filling a gap with another 30+.

wish I could watch more Phantoms…. sadly, they come to Norfolk only a couple times every season, and I go to Adirondack zero times a season. and I am NOT paying $150 to watch every AHL game when I only really care about 2 teams and certain bigger-name players on the rest. best I can do is watch stats/highlights.

3. kaptaanamerica - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Easing a rookie into the league with a third liner role isn’t a bad idea when it means training with the big club, learning what it means to be a professional, getting time on the pk or pp, and likely 12-15 minutes a night. At some point kids gotta make the jump.

4. mcphillthy - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I’m tired of hearing about Dan Cleary. It’s sad that we have nothing else to argue over. ::sigh::

Hurry up hockey season!!!!

• ibieiniid - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM

almost time, danielsahn. almost time.

• DonkeyStick - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

you’re tired of hearing about Dan Cleary………..and yet you stop and read and comment on EVERY Dan Cleary article……..

• mcphillthy - Sep 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Absolutely! If it says Flyers on it I guarantee you I will read it. That’s what fans do. If they write another article about Cleary I’ll comment on that on too. That’s why hockey season needs to start. Lol. Get used to my comments. :)

• DonkeyStick - Sep 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Recap….You say your “tired of hearing about Cleary” but stop and read and post on EVERY Cleary article. Then when you’re called out on it you say “Absolutely! If it says Flyers on it I guarantee you I will read it.” then later post on “Red Wings sign Cleary: one year, $1.75 million” which clearly not Cleary does not mention the Flyers and you stop read and post on it……gotcha.

• mcphillthy - Sep 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Because I can, mofo. You really wasted all that time to recount the articles I’ve commented on today?! Hahahahaha. Man if you are just trying to argue with me you could have at least thrown a ‘your mom is so fat’ joke at me or something. I may post on every red wings article I find now just bc I can.

• hockey412 - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:42 AM

He’s right bro we’re all chomping at the bit for hockey season to start – it’s cool to comment on this soap opera, cut him some slack!

5. girouxed - Sep 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM