Sep 11, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
If nothing else, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon is doing his due diligence when it comes to trying to improve his team’s goaltending. Word surfaced Wednesday that Tim Thomas isn’t the only noteworthy goalie who has been offered a professional tryout; the franchise has had conversations with Ilya Bryzgalov and Jose Theodore too, according to the Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Here are some more interesting tidbits on the process, via the Sun-Sentinel:
Reports say that Theodore turned down the PTO, and instead wants a contract. TSN and ESPN reported that Thomas wants to be assured of the starting job, and Tallon is saying he wouldn’t want a goalie who didn’t want to be the starter but he’s not giving out guarantees. Expected starter Jacob Markstrom said he wants and expects to be the starter but will work hard to earn it. He can’t comment on the veteran goalies because he can’t control that.
It’s worth noting that Markstrom’s contract goes from two-way in 2013-14 to one-way in 2014-15, so Florida has some excellent flexibility if management decides to demote him in favor of a more experienced goalie.
However this all shakes out, few teams have entertained as much as the Panthers have this preseason.
More on the Panthers preseason
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 0
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 21
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42