Sep 11, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
If nothing else, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon is doing his due diligence when it comes to trying to improve his team’s goaltending. Word surfaced Wednesday that Tim Thomas isn’t the only noteworthy goalie who has been offered a professional tryout; the franchise has had conversations with Ilya Bryzgalov and Jose Theodore too, according to the Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Here are some more interesting tidbits on the process, via the Sun-Sentinel:
Reports say that Theodore turned down the PTO, and instead wants a contract. TSN and ESPN reported that Thomas wants to be assured of the starting job, and Tallon is saying he wouldn’t want a goalie who didn’t want to be the starter but he’s not giving out guarantees. Expected starter Jacob Markstrom said he wants and expects to be the starter but will work hard to earn it. He can’t comment on the veteran goalies because he can’t control that.
It’s worth noting that Markstrom’s contract goes from two-way in 2013-14 to one-way in 2014-15, so Florida has some excellent flexibility if management decides to demote him in favor of a more experienced goalie.
However this all shakes out, few teams have entertained as much as the Panthers have this preseason.
More on the Panthers preseason
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 22
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)