Sep 11, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
If nothing else, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon is doing his due diligence when it comes to trying to improve his team’s goaltending. Word surfaced Wednesday that Tim Thomas isn’t the only noteworthy goalie who has been offered a professional tryout; the franchise has had conversations with Ilya Bryzgalov and Jose Theodore too, according to the Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Here are some more interesting tidbits on the process, via the Sun-Sentinel:
Reports say that Theodore turned down the PTO, and instead wants a contract. TSN and ESPN reported that Thomas wants to be assured of the starting job, and Tallon is saying he wouldn’t want a goalie who didn’t want to be the starter but he’s not giving out guarantees. Expected starter Jacob Markstrom said he wants and expects to be the starter but will work hard to earn it. He can’t comment on the veteran goalies because he can’t control that.
It’s worth noting that Markstrom’s contract goes from two-way in 2013-14 to one-way in 2014-15, so Florida has some excellent flexibility if management decides to demote him in favor of a more experienced goalie.
However this all shakes out, few teams have entertained as much as the Panthers have this preseason.
More on the Panthers preseason
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)