Sep 11, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
If nothing else, Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon is doing his due diligence when it comes to trying to improve his team’s goaltending. Word surfaced Wednesday that Tim Thomas isn’t the only noteworthy goalie who has been offered a professional tryout; the franchise has had conversations with Ilya Bryzgalov and Jose Theodore too, according to the Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Here are some more interesting tidbits on the process, via the Sun-Sentinel:
Reports say that Theodore turned down the PTO, and instead wants a contract. TSN and ESPN reported that Thomas wants to be assured of the starting job, and Tallon is saying he wouldn’t want a goalie who didn’t want to be the starter but he’s not giving out guarantees. Expected starter Jacob Markstrom said he wants and expects to be the starter but will work hard to earn it. He can’t comment on the veteran goalies because he can’t control that.
It’s worth noting that Markstrom’s contract goes from two-way in 2013-14 to one-way in 2014-15, so Florida has some excellent flexibility if management decides to demote him in favor of a more experienced goalie.
However this all shakes out, few teams have entertained as much as the Panthers have this preseason.
More on the Panthers preseason
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 20
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 9
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 12
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 9
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4