Sep 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Veteran winger Brad Boyes is on his way to Florida for training camp, according to CBS Sports Radio’s Andy Strickland.
A former 43-goal scorer, Boyes signed a four-year, $16 million deal with the Blues in 2008 and was traded to Buffalo at the 2011 deadline.
He struggled with the Sabres (see here) and took a significant pay cut last July by signing a one-year, $1 million contract with the Isles. Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports Boyes was mulling over attending Islanders camp on a PTO as well.
The move to bring in another veteran — Florida signed Scott Gomez in late July — makes sense for the Panthers, who are in need of veteran presences. Tallon is on record saying the club expects to “go young” next season and rely heavily on its prospects.
Florida has been stockpiling high draft picks ever since 2010, the year Tallon joined the club, and now appears primed to show ‘em off.
In 2011, it was this year’s Calder Trophy winner, Jonathan Huberdeau (third overall) and Rocco Grimaldi (33rd overall).
In 2012, it was Mike Matheson (23rd overall) and at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, it was Aleksander Barkov (second overall).
All told, that’s seven top-35 picks, and a few others selected just outside the top 35 (Alex Petrovic, Vincent Trochek) that are ready to challenge for spots as well.
Should he make the team, Boyes will join a veteran leadership group that includes Gomez (33), captain Ed Jovanovski (37 years old) and blueliners Mike Mottau (35) Mike Weaver (34) and Brian Campbell (33).
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)