Sep 10, 2013, 9:39 PM EDT
Free agent goalie Tim Thomas is reportedly zeroing in on his preferred NHL destination, but who knows if he’ll really make the best decision. He’s made some polarizing choices in the past, after all.
Still, when you consider his impressive resume, goalie-poor teams would be wise to give him a look. So let’s discuss where he should land.
Before you vote, note that many teams were canceled out because they have an incumbent No. 1 and/or the squad has been taken out of the mix (example: the New York Islanders).
Sure, some of these teams might make more sense than others, but that’s for you to decide.
Calgary – With Miikka Kiprusoff officially retired, the Flames have a crater-sized hole in net and new exec Brian Burke loves his American players. That being said, Thomas might not want to play for a team that’s finally embracing a rebuild.
Colorado – The Avalanche have two goalies locked up, but only for 2013-14. If any head coach would want to roll the dice with a high-risk, high-reward netminder, it would probably be Patrick Roy. This team has some intriguing sleeper potential and Thomas lives in the area, so the idea at least makes some sense on paper.
Florida – Thomas already made a lot of sense in Sunrise even before Scott Clemmensen‘s injury. Now it looks even better, especially since the Panthers would gain more breathing room to develop Jacob Markstrom, whose contract is two-way in 2013-14 before going one-way the following season. Like Calgary, the bigger hurdle might be convincing Thomas to play for a struggling team.
Winnipeg – Of all these listed teams, knocking off the Jets’ No. 1 might be the toughest; the organization might find it difficult to stomach watching a $3.9 million goalie sitting on the bench. Still, Pavelec’s numbers look more like those of a backup netminder, and you have to wonder how much longer the honeymoon will last in Winnipeg.
Again, these aren’t ideal situations, yet they likely make the most sense for Thomas. (Feel free to dissent in the comments.) With all that in mind, pick the place that makes the most sense.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)