Sep 10, 2013, 9:39 PM EST
Free agent goalie Tim Thomas is reportedly zeroing in on his preferred NHL destination, but who knows if he’ll really make the best decision. He’s made some polarizing choices in the past, after all.
Still, when you consider his impressive resume, goalie-poor teams would be wise to give him a look. So let’s discuss where he should land.
Before you vote, note that many teams were canceled out because they have an incumbent No. 1 and/or the squad has been taken out of the mix (example: the New York Islanders).
Sure, some of these teams might make more sense than others, but that’s for you to decide.
Calgary – With Miikka Kiprusoff officially retired, the Flames have a crater-sized hole in net and new exec Brian Burke loves his American players. That being said, Thomas might not want to play for a team that’s finally embracing a rebuild.
Colorado – The Avalanche have two goalies locked up, but only for 2013-14. If any head coach would want to roll the dice with a high-risk, high-reward netminder, it would probably be Patrick Roy. This team has some intriguing sleeper potential and Thomas lives in the area, so the idea at least makes some sense on paper.
Florida – Thomas already made a lot of sense in Sunrise even before Scott Clemmensen‘s injury. Now it looks even better, especially since the Panthers would gain more breathing room to develop Jacob Markstrom, whose contract is two-way in 2013-14 before going one-way the following season. Like Calgary, the bigger hurdle might be convincing Thomas to play for a struggling team.
Winnipeg – Of all these listed teams, knocking off the Jets’ No. 1 might be the toughest; the organization might find it difficult to stomach watching a $3.9 million goalie sitting on the bench. Still, Pavelec’s numbers look more like those of a backup netminder, and you have to wonder how much longer the honeymoon will last in Winnipeg.
Again, these aren’t ideal situations, yet they likely make the most sense for Thomas. (Feel free to dissent in the comments.) With all that in mind, pick the place that makes the most sense.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)