Aug 28, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Dallas Stars head coach Lindy Ruff used Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp to brush up on one of his new players.
Ruff, one of Mike Babcock’s assistant coaches for the Canadian squad, picked the brain of fellow assistant and Boston head coach Claude Julien about Dallas’ big offseason acquisition — Tyler Seguin.
“It was about his move back to the middle of the ice, why he went to right wing,” Ruff told NHL.com. “How he handled him. Where does he think he can be best utilized? They’re all questions a coach would ask another coach.”
Despite the “how he handled him” line, Ruff didn’t divulge if the conversation steered towards Seguin’s off-ice reputation. The former Boston forward — acquired by Dallas in a seven-player blockbuster — had his B’s exit marred by allegations of immaturity and a party lifestyle.
There was also a minor controversy following his arrival in Dallas, when he alleged someone “hacked” his Twitter account.
Julien said “there was no issue between Tyler and I” during their three seasons together in Boston, and Ruff said any alleged issues won’t be a problem now, because he’s offering the 21-year-old a clean slate.
“I have had players that had situations that any normal young guy would go through. They make bad decisions sometimes,” Ruff explained. “Some of those bad decisions get out in the public and some of them don’t.
“Some of [Seguin's] have, but I look at it as we’re going to start clean, move forward, and he’s excited about getting a fresh start.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)