Video: Seguin explains ‘unfortunate’ Twitter incident

Jul 9, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT

New Stars forward Tyler Seguin was introduced to the Dallas media today, and predictably he faced questions about that “whole Twitter situation,” as one reporter put it.

Sitting between Dallas general manager Jim Nill and the Stars’ other big trade acquisition, Shawn Horcoff, Seguin stuck by his original story that hackers were to blame.

“It was very unfortunate, the time period when it was all happening,” said Seguin.”My Twitter was, in fact, taken over along with a few other things that are with my name. It definitely didn’t feel good that my name was out there saying negative things. But I definitely want to apologize to anyone that was hurt by what I said.”

Seguin, 21, doesn’t believe one of his friends was responsible for Saturday’s tweet.

Oh, and he’s looking forward to playing center, his natural position, in Dallas.

Nill, by the way, stood by Seguin’s version of the story.

Related: Seguin’s mom accuses B’s of ‘making up stories’

1. hallforpresident - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Probably not hackers, but his friends taking his phone and commenting that. With a rep like Seguin’s at the moment though, it’s hard to say.

2. channelguy - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Why would anyone think it WASNT hacked. This isn’t like the many celebutards who post something stupid and wish they hadn’t. The Tweet was NOT flattering to him. Why would he post it, since the Tweet just denigrated him?.

• kitshky - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM

So with your logic, if a mistake that someone does makes them look bad then that person clearly did not make that mistake because no one wants to look bad.

That’s some serious apologist “reasoning”…

• mp1131211 - Jul 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Shhh… don’t wake channelguy. He’s asleep with the wool pulled over his eyes.

• nj666 - Jul 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I got to “celebutards” then I stopped taking your comment seriously.

• watchthethrone92 - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

channelguy is no cow. so that means he’s not a steer and therefore definately a queer

• watchthethrone92 - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

channelguy is no cow. so that means he’s not a steer and therefore definitely a queer

3. ruddigervancity - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Why would you say, “But I definitely want to apologize to anyone that was hurt by what I said.” if it wasn’t something that “you said”?

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Because people act like what he said matters

• 19to77 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Seguin’s never seemed to think his stories through. Remember last year when he slept through a Bruins practice, then told the media it was because his phone was set to Boston time? Problem was, they were in Winnipeg. That would have had him up an hour earlier, not later. The kid just blurts out the first cover that comes to mind.

• jackrabbit56 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Umm, no. If it was say 7:00 AM in Winnipeg, it would be 8:00 AM in Boston. So an alarm set for 8:00 would, in fact, be an hour late for a 7:00 AM wake-up. What with GPS on most cell phones that automatically resetting time zones. it’s actually quite possible that while the time reset to an hour earlier, the alarm wouldn’t change and would be set for an hour later than the new time zone.

• dropthepuckeh - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM

With all due respect jackrabbit – you are wrong. When it is 7am in Boston, it would be 6am in Winnipeg. If Seguin claimed his phone was set for 7am it would probably have adjusted the time zone like you said but it wouldn’t change the alarm time. He thought he would get away with it and I guess in a way he did for a bit.

This trade has is about his inability to step up and be accountable. Whether it is the alarm b.s., the partying, the late nights in Toronto or the “hacked” twitter account, Seguin thinks he is smarter than everyone else and that he can b.s. his way out of it. Judging by the way his parents enable him I’m guessing he learned it from them.

The gist of what was said on twitter is not a big deal, if fact, it’s a movie quote and not illegal. It was stupid though and even more stupid in light of everything being said about Seguin right now. If someone hacked his twitter account wouldn’t they say something a lot worse and tweet a bunch of stuff rather than this stupid comment? The alarming thing about the incident is that Seguin looks at a bunch of people and camera’s and lies about it. If the kid were trying at all to make amends and do the right thing he would admit he was being an idiot and didn’t think about what he was saying. I’m guessing the bender he was on this past week on the Cape was a factor in his poor decision. Most of us have been there….

• kitshky - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Seriously … are you guys drinking crazy pills??

Right now it is 4:09 pm in Boston and 3:09 pm in Winnipeg, therefore tomorrow morning at 7:00 am in Boston it will be 6:00 am in Winnipeg.

If your alarm is set to go off at 7:00 am Boston time and you travel to Winnipeg that alarm is going to off 6:00 am Winnipeg time.

Regardless of whether or not his phone automatically adjusted … time zones are pretty indisputable.

• kitshky - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM

..o wow I totally misread your comments ha ha.

I thought you guys were disputing time zones … my bad.

Without knowing exactly what kind of phone he has or what settings he has on his phone it’s literally impossible to determine whether or not his phone would automatically adjust to the local time zone, having said that with most smart phones set to adjust automatically his story is pretty weak.

• dropthepuckeh - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM

The point is that his alarm would have either gone off at the correct time (if the phone automatically adjusted) or an hour earlier(if it didn’t). Either way he should have been okay. His story was b.s.

4. pepper2011 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Am I hearing him right at the beginning? “my last team there were a lot of young guys, I was the only single guy, I am excited to meet some new faces”

huh? Seriously the Bruins dealt him because of his outside the rink choices and the first thing he says is about being single and meeting new people.

the more he opens his mouth; the more ok I become with this trade. Dallas sports fans were up in arms about Romo in Mexico before a game… just wait.

• pepper2011 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I guess we didn’t hear the question, the “for starters” made it seem like a statement – was he answering a question?

@ channelguy – Nice catch on the “hurt by what I said”.

• mjvincent125 - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

That would be the Cowboy fans. A lot more of them than Stars fans. Media will be a lot more forgiving in Dallas than in Boston. Hockey isn’t even covered well during the season.

5. grillmarks - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I mean c’mon. Hacked? Sack up and admit it was a silly thing to say and move past it. It looks much worse that he is trying to cover for it. 21 year olds say and do dumb things sometimes so this isn’t a shocking circumstance and not all that big a deal, but the sooner Seguin learns that humility and honesty is what wins you the most respect the better.

• 19to77 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

No kidding. Nobody’s going to get all holier-than-thou on the kid for saying dumb sh*t when he’s drunk. Almost everyone’s been there. But constantly trying to deny it and pretend like he’s a perfectly responsible, dedicated athlete, when the only one in the world who agrees is his friggin’ mom isn’t fooling anyone. All it does is convince people the Bruins were on to something.

6. jernster21 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

The truth comes out eventually…just ask Lance Armstrong. Looking forward to Seguin’s episode with Oprah.

7. stcrowe - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I’ll bet there will be a great party somewhere in Dallas tonight, and tomorrow night, and the night after that…

8. hockeyflow33 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Does anyone actually care that he used the word queer on twitter? Seriously?

• kitshky - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Well … clearly.

Telling us that you don’t “actually care” makes sense but asking if anyone at all cares is kind of redundant as many many people clearly do.

9. cweez2 - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

“Look, I screwed up. I made up the hacker story because I was embarrassed and ashamed at what I did. It was a childish mistake One part of being a better player is being accountable for my actions. I’m going to straighten up and make sure it never happens again.”

There Tyler, I saved you all that money you’d pay the PR guy.

10. adambballn - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I’ve seen accounts hacked… you start getting Tweets about “penis enlargement pills” or something similar and the people hacked aren’t able to get back into their accounts minutes later to delete the Tweet and apologize for it. This guy is full of crap.

11. chazxcore - Jul 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM

This guys a tool but I love those new jerseys.

12. peterjohnjoseph - Jul 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Has anyone noticed he might of slipped up by saying “If what I said hurt anybody, I’m sorry”, right after saying he was hacked?

• tru2joelu4eva - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

• tru2joelu4eva - Jul 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM

also, jim nill CLEARLY flinches when he says it

13. blackhawksdynasty - Jul 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Notice all of the “thumbs down” totals of 1 & 2…….

Tyler and his mom disagree with everybody!

14. nyrnashty - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM

The only problem I had is that it looked like he got the quote from the movie wrong. Internet people get so mad over anything. Seriously, get over yourselves. I thought it was funny and he was acting more American than most people I know these days and he’s not even American. This whole PC thing is ridiculous. He tweets nothing more than average people talk about in real life and find funny! I like this kid more than ever, he has some personality and yeah it might come at the expense of other, but oh well grow a pair fools!

• zetaone - Jul 10, 2013 at 5:19 AM

So being a dbag and tool make you a man and an authentic American? No wonder this country is in the sh1tter.

15. watchthethrone92 - Jul 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Its so weird, me and tyler hockey have the same problem. My twitter and facebook get hacked almost every weekend and these hackers post the most embarrassing stuff! I feel for you bro!

16. spitfisher - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM

if he doesn’t change his ways, he’ll be traded to the betty ford clinic next, It happened to Theo Fluery

17. andyreidisfat - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I could careless what someone says on the twitter because everything said on twitter is pretty stupid.

I do however really dig the stars sweaters. Are they new? I might have to get a #9 of the white.

18. cubhawk63 - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

For the most part NHL players are more accountable for their behavior than the NFL players(noticeably) and teams want their players to be more representative of their organization in a positive manner.Perhaps,that was the purpose for their move on Seguin.

Bruins faithful should be worried

Top 10 NHL Player Searches