Aug 17, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
Time will tell if the Dallas Stars nabbed a true difference-maker who was traded too soon in Tyler Seguin. It could very well be that their trade with the Boston Bruins will merely draw even on the ice – Loui Eriksson is a gem, after all – but the move could be just as important for ticket sales.
As great as Jamie Benn and other quality Stars players have been, it’s not a stretch to say that Seguin represents the team’s first true “face of the franchise” since Mike Modano’s heyday.
Combine that splashy move with a green-tinged new look, and it’s possible the Stars turned some heads this summer. The question is: did they turn enough?
An easy start
Much like the Avalanche in Colorado, the Stars came to Dallas with as close to a ready-made contending team as you’ll see in relocated sports franchises.
That helped the Stars hit the ground running fairly quickly (though not as drastically as the instant-success Avs), but the franchise also skipped ahead of the growing pains experienced in markets such as Nashville and Columbus. The Stars even lucked into the fact that they were booming in a lousy era for most Dallas professional sports teams, something they cannot count on with regularity.
Those were blessings early on, although maybe that fast start proved to be a bit of a curse?
While competing with the mighty Cowboys has never been the point, it’s become clear over the years that Al Davis’ “Just win, baby” mantra works well for the market (and most sports cities in warmer climates, really). It’s easy to forget the struggles of other sports teams in the area, including the booming Texas Rangers.
The Stars have quietly been respectable recently, yet they’ll likely need a playoff run – or maybe even a few deep ones – to really rekindle that connection with locals.
It’s anyone’s guess if they’re really on the right track, but at least they’re trying to make some waves.
More Dallas Stars day at PHT
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)