Aug 17, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
Time will tell if the Dallas Stars nabbed a true difference-maker who was traded too soon in Tyler Seguin. It could very well be that their trade with the Boston Bruins will merely draw even on the ice – Loui Eriksson is a gem, after all – but the move could be just as important for ticket sales.
As great as Jamie Benn and other quality Stars players have been, it’s not a stretch to say that Seguin represents the team’s first true “face of the franchise” since Mike Modano’s heyday.
Combine that splashy move with a green-tinged new look, and it’s possible the Stars turned some heads this summer. The question is: did they turn enough?
An easy start
Much like the Avalanche in Colorado, the Stars came to Dallas with as close to a ready-made contending team as you’ll see in relocated sports franchises.
That helped the Stars hit the ground running fairly quickly (though not as drastically as the instant-success Avs), but the franchise also skipped ahead of the growing pains experienced in markets such as Nashville and Columbus. The Stars even lucked into the fact that they were booming in a lousy era for most Dallas professional sports teams, something they cannot count on with regularity.
Those were blessings early on, although maybe that fast start proved to be a bit of a curse?
While competing with the mighty Cowboys has never been the point, it’s become clear over the years that Al Davis’ “Just win, baby” mantra works well for the market (and most sports cities in warmer climates, really). It’s easy to forget the struggles of other sports teams in the area, including the booming Texas Rangers.
The Stars have quietly been respectable recently, yet they’ll likely need a playoff run – or maybe even a few deep ones – to really rekindle that connection with locals.
It’s anyone’s guess if they’re really on the right track, but at least they’re trying to make some waves.
More Dallas Stars day at PHT
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)