Aug 17, 2013, 7:22 PM EST
Much of the optimism surrounding the Dallas Stars focuses on a bright future. If you’re looking for reasons to feel positive about the present, you’d likely be best served to start in net.
It’s strange to call the second pick of a draft* an “under the radar” player, but that seems appropriate for Stars’ franchise guy Kari Lehtonen.
The 29-year-old has dazzled at times between his days with the Stars and Atlanta Thrashers, yet he has just two playoff games on his resume. Injuries and weak supporting casts have mired him in relative obscurity despite putting up nice numbers. (He’s had at least a .911 save percentage since the 2006-07 season.)
For the last few seasons, the Stars’ fate has been tied to Lehtonen’s play, and that will likely remain the same in 2013-14.
On the bright side, Dallas finally gave him a capable backup in Dan Ellis.
Dan Ellis problem solver
The 33-year-old might be best remembered for generating an Internet meme or two, but he’s an experienced No. 2 guy who isn’t likely to generate many goalie controversies. Think of him as the Martin Biron to Lehtonen’s Henrik Lundqvist.
While the Stars’ defense seems like it could be strong in the big picture, it’s probable that the franchise will hope that its goalies can clean up messes most nights next season. The good news is that they have a duo with a strong chance of getting that done.
More Dallas Stars day at PHT
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 3
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 12
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 12
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)