Aug 17, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Perhaps the biggest move of the summer came when the Dallas Stars acquired young star Tyler Seguin from the Boston Bruins in a blockbuster seven-player deal. While there were other players of varying kinds, the one that brings the most questions is Seguin.
Seguin’s time in Boston ended in controversy as Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli talked at length about his need to essentially grow up. That was followed by quotes from Seguin’s mother saying the Bruins made up stories and rumors of Seguin being under watch during the playoffs to make sure he didn’t wind up partying to all hours.
After all that drama, he finds himself in Dallas and with an opportunity to prove to the Bruins they gave up too quickly on a 21-year-old kid who may have been taking advantage of his celebrity. The question here is: Will that happen? If it does, the Stars could reap the benefits for years to come.
Check out what Seguin did in his first three NHL seasons after being the second overall pick in the 2010 draft.
2010-11: 74 GP 11 G 11 A 12:13 ATOI (average time on ice)
2011-12: 81 GP 29 G 38 A 16:56 ATOI
2012-13: 48 GP 16 G 16 A 17:01 ATOI
His production last season put him on pace for similar numbers to his 11-12 season and with offense being at a premium in Dallas, that’s huge. The 67 points he had that season would’ve put him second on Dallas behind Jamie Benn‘s 71. Heck, his 32 points last season would’ve been good enough for second on the team as well.
Obviously coming to Dallas puts him in a new system with new focus on what to do, but it’s hard to think that Seguin’s off-ice “issues” would be enough to derail what he’s shown he could do. Stars GM Jim Nill has confidence in Seguin and that along with Lindy Ruff’s support might be all he needs.
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 0
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 11
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 119
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (117)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)