Aug 17, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Perhaps the biggest move of the summer came when the Dallas Stars acquired young star Tyler Seguin from the Boston Bruins in a blockbuster seven-player deal. While there were other players of varying kinds, the one that brings the most questions is Seguin.
Seguin’s time in Boston ended in controversy as Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli talked at length about his need to essentially grow up. That was followed by quotes from Seguin’s mother saying the Bruins made up stories and rumors of Seguin being under watch during the playoffs to make sure he didn’t wind up partying to all hours.
After all that drama, he finds himself in Dallas and with an opportunity to prove to the Bruins they gave up too quickly on a 21-year-old kid who may have been taking advantage of his celebrity. The question here is: Will that happen? If it does, the Stars could reap the benefits for years to come.
Check out what Seguin did in his first three NHL seasons after being the second overall pick in the 2010 draft.
2010-11: 74 GP 11 G 11 A 12:13 ATOI (average time on ice)
2011-12: 81 GP 29 G 38 A 16:56 ATOI
2012-13: 48 GP 16 G 16 A 17:01 ATOI
His production last season put him on pace for similar numbers to his 11-12 season and with offense being at a premium in Dallas, that’s huge. The 67 points he had that season would’ve put him second on Dallas behind Jamie Benn‘s 71. Heck, his 32 points last season would’ve been good enough for second on the team as well.
Obviously coming to Dallas puts him in a new system with new focus on what to do, but it’s hard to think that Seguin’s off-ice “issues” would be enough to derail what he’s shown he could do. Stars GM Jim Nill has confidence in Seguin and that along with Lindy Ruff’s support might be all he needs.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)