Aug 17, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Perhaps the biggest move of the summer came when the Dallas Stars acquired young star Tyler Seguin from the Boston Bruins in a blockbuster seven-player deal. While there were other players of varying kinds, the one that brings the most questions is Seguin.
Seguin’s time in Boston ended in controversy as Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli talked at length about his need to essentially grow up. That was followed by quotes from Seguin’s mother saying the Bruins made up stories and rumors of Seguin being under watch during the playoffs to make sure he didn’t wind up partying to all hours.
After all that drama, he finds himself in Dallas and with an opportunity to prove to the Bruins they gave up too quickly on a 21-year-old kid who may have been taking advantage of his celebrity. The question here is: Will that happen? If it does, the Stars could reap the benefits for years to come.
Check out what Seguin did in his first three NHL seasons after being the second overall pick in the 2010 draft.
2010-11: 74 GP 11 G 11 A 12:13 ATOI (average time on ice)
2011-12: 81 GP 29 G 38 A 16:56 ATOI
2012-13: 48 GP 16 G 16 A 17:01 ATOI
His production last season put him on pace for similar numbers to his 11-12 season and with offense being at a premium in Dallas, that’s huge. The 67 points he had that season would’ve put him second on Dallas behind Jamie Benn‘s 71. Heck, his 32 points last season would’ve been good enough for second on the team as well.
Obviously coming to Dallas puts him in a new system with new focus on what to do, but it’s hard to think that Seguin’s off-ice “issues” would be enough to derail what he’s shown he could do. Stars GM Jim Nill has confidence in Seguin and that along with Lindy Ruff’s support might be all he needs.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)