Aug 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
No matter how much new assistant coach Jacques Martin helps the Pittsburgh Penguins in their own end, it’s unlikely they’ll win a Stanley Cup without better goaltending.
As everyone already knows, Marc-Andre Fleury has struggled badly in recent playoff appearances. And while Tomas Vokoun was mostly good in relief this past postseason, Fleury is still the team’s number one, according to head coach Dan Bylsma.
Which brings us to the Penguins’ search for a new goalie coach to replace Gilles Meloche, who stepped down in June.
Today, Bylsma said the search was down to three candidates.
Not surprisingly, Bylsma didn’t name names, but here’s one to chew on: Kim Dillabaugh.
Dillabaugh is currently with the Los Angeles Kings in their Player Development department. In that capacity, he’s worked with Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier, a pair of goalies who’ve turned out pretty well, you’d probably agree.
We’ve no idea if Dillabaugh is on the Pens’ list of three, but hey, now you know of a guy by the name of Dillabaugh.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)