Pens’ search for new goalie coach is down to three

Aug 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT

vokounfleurygetty Getty Images

No matter how much new assistant coach Jacques Martin helps the Pittsburgh Penguins in their own end, it’s unlikely they’ll win a Stanley Cup without better goaltending.

As everyone already knows, Marc-Andre Fleury has struggled badly in recent playoff appearances. And while Tomas Vokoun was mostly good in relief this past postseason, Fleury is still the team’s number one, according to head coach Dan Bylsma.

Which brings us to the Penguins’ search for a new goalie coach to replace Gilles Meloche, who stepped down in June.

Today, Bylsma said the search was down to three candidates.

Not surprisingly, Bylsma didn’t name names, but here’s one to chew on: Kim Dillabaugh.

Dillabaugh is currently with the Los Angeles Kings in their Player Development department. In that capacity, he’s worked with Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier, a pair of goalies who’ve turned out pretty well, you’d probably agree.

We’ve no idea if Dillabaugh is on the Pens’ list of three, but hey, now you know of a guy by the name of Dillabaugh.

1. modellforprez - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM

The Pens can win with either. They no patfience for fleury in the postseason the guy lost 2 games to the Isles and lost his job. Now im not saying that was wrong but they didmt go back to him till Vokoun was pulled against bos. so anyway i think that Because boston had 8-9 days between the Semi conf. finals and conf. finals to dissect the pens systems and players and to their credit they did that and more by only allowing 2 goals in almost 14 periods. But make no mistake if they only have 1-3 days between series the Pens beat boston

• claudegirwho - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I could see him shaking in his pads when he went back in in the Boston game. I’m pretty sure fleury didn’t even want to go back in during the playoffs.

• whosennext - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

What series was you watching when the Pens played the Islanders? I am a huge Pens fan and it was obvious without a doubt that if Fleury played out the series, they would have been eliminated in the 1st round again. As far as the Boston series goes, both teams had the same amount of rest. Boston played a better series and deserved to move on. In the end, Crosby, Malkin, Letang and all your other stars have too step up to the plate and score.

• chanceoffleury1 - Aug 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I think it’s the contrary. The Pens lost because they were predictable. Every time the Bruins cast a line, the Pens were baited and hooked. They never adjusted and lacked adversity. Toews and Seabrook played like s*** for significant times in the playoffs but that didn’t stop the Hawks. I’m not saying Neal, Crosby, Malkin, and Letang shouldn’t get a finger pointed at them, but the fact that NOBODY on the Pens stepped up and became a hero the way Bickell or Shaw or Horton or Krug did speaks volumes to me. And to me, is more of an explanation as to why the Pens failed in the fashion they did. If there is one part of the “stanley cup formula” that every team who’s ever won has in common in the salary cap era, it’s the unsung 3rd/4th line hero. The Pens never got that. I don’t think the Pens would have beat the Hawks anyway. I never would be caught dead admitting that in the season, but now that it’s passed and I’ve reflected, I realize how talented the Hawks really were.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Chance, THANKS for your honesty, I follow the Hawks closely. Much of the year on Yahoo Hawks game threads, we had Pens fans trolling Hawks pre-game and special articles and trashing the Hawks. I progressively pointed out that the Hawks were objectively better, without trashing the Pens, who I credited with being one of the top two in the east (I thgought Boston might catch the Pens but they faded).

I loo9k at stats, and posted that while the Pens were #1 in the league offensively, they were middle of the pack defensively. Hawks in contrast were #2 offensively, #1 offensively and #1 in points and +/- depth.

I posted that if they faced off for the Cup, I was quite confident that the Hawks would win.

No Pens fan tried to refute me, tho I did get some derisive comments.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I thought they made the switch in game 4. Don’t know where you got the days off figure from. Boston played one more game 1st series, same # of games in 2nd.

2. bradyisbetterthanrodgers - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM

^idiot

3. whosennext - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

And by the way, I am a huge Geno Malkin fan.

4. drewsylvania - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

What about their search for a new goalie?

5. claysbar - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Pens missed out on Ty Conklin being hired as Goalie Coach. He knows the team and he knows Fleury.

• naterr716 - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:21 AM

First time poster here. I’ve been reaing prohockeytalk for over a year, and your comment made me sign up because I agree, unequivocally. We had Conklin for half a season in Buffalo and he was completely under utilized. No one can seem to let go of the playoff performance in Edmonton and he always had that stigma that he’d “always be good for one soft one.” He was a good goalie who knew a lot about the position.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches