Jun 12, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
After serving for seven seasons as the Pittsburgh Penguins goaltending coach, Gilles Meloche has decided to step down and accept a new role within the organization as a special assignment scout, according to the team’s website.
Meloche, 62, played in 788 NHL games as a netminder and 2013 was his 27th campaign with Pittsburgh.
“Gilles believes it’s the right time in his life and his career to move back into a scouting role,” GM Ray Shero said. “He has been an invaluable member of this organization since arriving in Pittsburgh as a player in 1985 and has been on the staff for three Stanley Cup championships.
“He’s been a scout, a goaltending consultant and a full-time goaltending coach, providing great leadership for our goaltenders and prospects. He will continue to be an asset as a special assignment scout.”
He’s been Pittsburgh’s full-time goaltending coach for most of Marc-Andre Fleury‘s career. Fleury has become the franchise’s all-time wins leader, but he’s also struggled in each of the Penguins’ last two playoff runs.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)