Jun 12, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
After serving for seven seasons as the Pittsburgh Penguins goaltending coach, Gilles Meloche has decided to step down and accept a new role within the organization as a special assignment scout, according to the team’s website.
Meloche, 62, played in 788 NHL games as a netminder and 2013 was his 27th campaign with Pittsburgh.
“Gilles believes it’s the right time in his life and his career to move back into a scouting role,” GM Ray Shero said. “He has been an invaluable member of this organization since arriving in Pittsburgh as a player in 1985 and has been on the staff for three Stanley Cup championships.
“He’s been a scout, a goaltending consultant and a full-time goaltending coach, providing great leadership for our goaltenders and prospects. He will continue to be an asset as a special assignment scout.”
He’s been Pittsburgh’s full-time goaltending coach for most of Marc-Andre Fleury‘s career. Fleury has become the franchise’s all-time wins leader, but he’s also struggled in each of the Penguins’ last two playoff runs.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 2
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)