Jun 9, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
One of many disappointments in the playoffs for the Pittsburgh Penguins was the play of starting goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. He struggled in the first-round against the Islanders and wound up benched in favor of veteran backup Tomas Vokoun.
With rumors circulating about Fleury possibly being bought out this summer, Pens coach Dan Bylsma made his feelings very apparent on where he stands during today’s locker clear-out day.
“Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
So what about Tomas Vokoun’s role next season? Bylsma says his role won’t change as the backup because “Marc-Andre Fleury’s going to be in there winning games.”
With such stern votes of confidence in Fleury’s ability you wonder where this support was for him during the playoffs. The way this looks, it seems like they want to run him for political office and not starting goalie.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)