Jun 9, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
One of many disappointments in the playoffs for the Pittsburgh Penguins was the play of starting goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. He struggled in the first-round against the Islanders and wound up benched in favor of veteran backup Tomas Vokoun.
With rumors circulating about Fleury possibly being bought out this summer, Pens coach Dan Bylsma made his feelings very apparent on where he stands during today’s locker clear-out day.
“Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
So what about Tomas Vokoun’s role next season? Bylsma says his role won’t change as the backup because “Marc-Andre Fleury’s going to be in there winning games.”
With such stern votes of confidence in Fleury’s ability you wonder where this support was for him during the playoffs. The way this looks, it seems like they want to run him for political office and not starting goalie.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)