Aug 9, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings day on PHT continues with a look at a player who may or may not be on the ice in 2013-14…
There were times last season when Kings head coach Darryl Sutter sounded extremely frustrated at Willie Mitchell‘s hesitancy to return from a knee injury that required offseason surgery.
“You know what, he’s got doctor’s clearance,” Sutter said in January. “He’s got trainers’ clearance. Coaches want him to clear himself.
“So do it.”
But Mitchell never did return in 2013. The defensive defenseman’s absence, among other things, forced Drew Doughty to play more of a shutdown role for the Kings, perhaps hindering the latter’s offensive production.
In June, Kings general manager Dean Lombardi provided a cautious update on Mitchell’s status for 2013-14.
“I guess it’s safe to say that he’s at least making progress,” said Lombardi, per LA Kings Insider, “but the problem is it’s the same progress he made before, and until we get to those final stages, you’re not going to know for sure.
“So, if you had asked me this maybe six months ago when we went through the process the first time, I would have been encouraged. But, given that we had two setbacks once he got to a certain point, I’m certainly not as optimistic as I would have been before.
“Your guess is as good as mine right now.”
While Lombardi did acquire (and re-sign) veteran Robyn Regehr, the Kings will be hoping hard that Mitchell is able to play, and play well, again. The 36-year-old was a big part of the team’s Stanley Cup run in 2012. In fact, only Doughty averaged more ice time in those playoffs than Mitchell (25:19).
Los Angeles also lost stay-at-home defenseman Rob Scuderi to free agency in July.
Mitchell has one year remaining on his contract ($3.5 million cap hit) before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)