Jan 24, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday, LA Kings head coach Darryl Sutter delivered a message to defenseman Willie Mitchell, who’s been cleared to play after lockout knee surgery.
“You know what, he’s got doctor’s clearance,” Sutter told the LA Times. “He’s got trainers’ clearance. Coaches want him to clear himself.
“So do it.”
Is that terseness or bluntness from the bench boss?
Hard to say.
It’s clear Sutter’s none too pleased about his team’s start. The Kings looked flat in a 5-2 loss to Chicago in their home opener, then blew a third period lead in Colorado — prior to that, the Kings went 86-0-9 in 95 games when leading after 40 minutes — to start the season 0-2.
That said, Sutter is a veteran coach and knows it’s far too early to panic.
He’s also been a straight-shooter throughout his career, and this may have been an instance of him simply telling it like it is.
As for Mitchell — well, this isn’t the first time he’s been overly cautious about returning from injury. He suffered a concussion while playing in Vancouver and, after recovering, reflected on the pressure and stress he felt about returning to the ice.
“Everywhere I’d walk: ‘How’s your head? How’s your head?” Mitchell told the Times back in January 2012. “That’s the last thing I wanted to talk about. I just wanted to disconnect from that.
“So that’s what I did. I went to my place in the middle of nowhere in the forest and just chilled.”
While he’s not living in wooded isolation this time around, Mitchell says he’ll still be coming back on his terms.
“I don’t want to get out there and be a liability to my defense partner, to my teammates, to my coach,” he said. “When I come back I don’t want to come back, play the next couple of games and then [the knee] swells up and be out.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 7
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 2
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 13
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 19
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)