May 30, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms with defenseman Robyn Regher on a two-year, $6 million contract extension.
Regehr was acquired from Buffalo at the deadline for a pair of second-round picks (2014, ’15), and has since appeared in 12 regular-season and 13 playoff games for Los Angeles, recording three total points.
The signing suggests the outlook for veteran blueliner Willie Mitchell is not good.
Mitchell, 36, has been battling a chronic knee problem that sidelined him for the entire season. In April, Kings GM Dean Lombardi said there was “legitimate concern” that Mitchell wouldn’t be able to return next season, either.
Regehr, 33, has mostly filled the role left by Mitchell, spending big minutes on the penalty kill while sitting third among defensemen in hits (26) and blocked shots (14).
In his prime, Regher was one of the NHL’s most effective shutdown defensemen, twice representing Canada at the Winter Olympics.
He also went to a Stanley Cup final with Darryl Sutter when both were with Calgary in 2004.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)