May 30, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms with defenseman Robyn Regher on a two-year, $6 million contract extension.
Regehr was acquired from Buffalo at the deadline for a pair of second-round picks (2014, ’15), and has since appeared in 12 regular-season and 13 playoff games for Los Angeles, recording three total points.
The signing suggests the outlook for veteran blueliner Willie Mitchell is not good.
Mitchell, 36, has been battling a chronic knee problem that sidelined him for the entire season. In April, Kings GM Dean Lombardi said there was “legitimate concern” that Mitchell wouldn’t be able to return next season, either.
Regehr, 33, has mostly filled the role left by Mitchell, spending big minutes on the penalty kill while sitting third among defensemen in hits (26) and blocked shots (14).
In his prime, Regher was one of the NHL’s most effective shutdown defensemen, twice representing Canada at the Winter Olympics.
He also went to a Stanley Cup final with Darryl Sutter when both were with Calgary in 2004.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)