May 30, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms with defenseman Robyn Regher on a two-year, $6 million contract extension.
Regehr was acquired from Buffalo at the deadline for a pair of second-round picks (2014, ’15), and has since appeared in 12 regular-season and 13 playoff games for Los Angeles, recording three total points.
The signing suggests the outlook for veteran blueliner Willie Mitchell is not good.
Mitchell, 36, has been battling a chronic knee problem that sidelined him for the entire season. In April, Kings GM Dean Lombardi said there was “legitimate concern” that Mitchell wouldn’t be able to return next season, either.
Regehr, 33, has mostly filled the role left by Mitchell, spending big minutes on the penalty kill while sitting third among defensemen in hits (26) and blocked shots (14).
In his prime, Regher was one of the NHL’s most effective shutdown defensemen, twice representing Canada at the Winter Olympics.
He also went to a Stanley Cup final with Darryl Sutter when both were with Calgary in 2004.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)